Luftwaffe Northrop F-5L

Started by nönöbär, June 24, 2012, 03:10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nönöbär

Hi,

The Luftwaffe Notthrop F-5 is now completed. In the end, I had some trouble with the decals as they desintegrated into nothing when in the water, so I had to go to plan B and take some other ones which are a bit too big.

The model:
The kit is a 1/72 sclae PM-Model, which is very basic, just about 20 parts. I added some additional pylons with bombs to it and did not attach the wingti fuel tanks.

The story:
In the late 1970s, the Fiat G91 was the primary CAS aircraft in the German Luftwaffe.
Looking for a replacement, (in real life, this was the Alpha Jet), the Luftwaffe evaluated several types and finally decided to get the F-5L, an upgraded version for the Northorp F-5 A.
One of the reasosn to choose the F-5 was that Germany already operated the T-38 Talon as its primary jet trainer in the USA.

Not equipped with the wing fuel tanks, but with improved avionics, the aircraft was ment to be used in a dual role.
First, close air support and in a second role, as a light fighter aircraft.
The first aircraft were delivered in 1982 and was used at the Jagdbombergeschwader (JaboG) 41 in Husum, JaboG 43 in Oldenburg, and JaboG 49 in Fürstenfeldbruck.
A total of 175 planes were ordered and used by the Luftwaffe until the early 1990s when it had to reduce the number of aircraft after unification.

Most F-5L were then sold to other operators like Turkey and Switzerland, a few were bought by Austria to replace the Saab Draken.
Daily updates from my engineer: https://twitter.com/Scratchbr1

--------------------
German Naval History               : www.german-navy.de
Bärenreisen                             : www.barenurlaub.de

Nick

That's a very nice model! I see what you mean by the markings being too big, is it possible to replace them later?

Steel Penguin

nice looking, and the markings do goive it a certain bold apperance.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kitbasher

That's nice.  And ya know, don't anyone rubbish stuff like PM 'cos it's ideal for whiffing.
;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter