Project Cyclops 1946-1986

Started by SigfanUSAF, June 24, 2012, 03:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Active control of barrel whip is probably possible these days. I have a vague idea that they tried that at Aberdeen Proving Ground in the 90s.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sequoiaranger

The main trouble of a long-range, large-caliber gun on a ship is accuracy control on the intended target (not to speak of minor rolling/pitching of the gunship and the parallax that would engender miles away). Such an enormous shell with, say, a range of 30 miles, would take a LOOOOOOOONG time for the shell to get there. Much like level bombing from on high, there is PLENTY of time for the intended target ship to move (deliberate or not) and avoid the hit. Like the British did in the Med for high-flying Italian level bombers--Once the bombs were seen to drop (and knowing that the bombardier calculated where the ship would have been if it had kept going in the direction it was heading in when the bombs were dropped) the helm was turned hard over, thus avoiding the "planned" pattern by the time the bombs reached water level.

Once you go "nuclear", however...."close" is good enough!

PS--the "Paris gun" of the first World War had to take into account the rotation of the earth under the shell, it was in the air so long!!
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Weaver

All of the accuracy/targetting issues would have been good reason for not going ahead with it in the 1940s. However if the turret survived long enough, the issue of guided rounds would come up, and if they could be made to work.... :o
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kerick

Its not a gun, its a naval rifle. OMG what a rifle!!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Mossie

Impressive!  Sod the practicalites, make it work!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Joe C-P

Copperhead-style rounds for guided terminal phase. The USN considered these for the Iowas, along with saboted 13" and 11" rounds.

Limit the elevation to limit the range and therefore the flight time, and the size of the landing oval.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Go4fun

That's one heck of a wifle for hunting wabbits! :blink:
"Just which planet are you from again"?

SigfanUSAF

Quote from: Mossie on July 17, 2012, 01:12:15 AM
Impressive!  Sod the practicalites, make it work!

Thanks! Here she is Mounted on USS Tirpitz, AG-155, in preparation for Desert Storm.....

The Tirpitz operated as a test platform with the USS Mississippi AG128, and took over the role when AG128 was decommissioned. She pioneered the Talos and Terrier missile systems where turrets 1 & 2 were located, and received "Project Cyclops" in the 60's. The ship tested various radar, gun, and missile systems with the blast effect of the 28" behemoth. In 1990 it was decided to add ABLs in order to get more firepower to the Gulf ASAP.

Cliffy B

Pure insanity; I love it!!!!!!  :cheers:
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

RussC

Immensely good! Wonder if the US would have retained a Kreigsmarine name though.

Pity the poor yeoman sitting on the "head" when the 28" fired... pinned to the ceiling by the spray... :o  ;)
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

Cliffy B

Quote from: RussC on August 18, 2012, 05:49:00 AM
Pity the poor yeoman sitting on the "head" when the 28" fired... pinned to the ceiling by the spray... :o  ;)

Would certianly give new meaning to the phrase "scared sh!tless"  ;D ;D ;D
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

Joe C-P

May I suggest instead USS Von Steuben for this magnificent lunacy?
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

TheSybarite

The Paris Gun had several flaws; although its range was exceptional, the weight of shot was quite small, and the barrels wore out pretty quickly. Accuracy was terrible as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_gun

The Schwerer Gustav and Dora were even greater calibre than your monster, of course, but used so infrequently it's hard to say how effective they were.

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.