A&AEE Grey and Red

Started by Knightflyer, June 28, 2012, 03:49:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knightflyer

Hi All

Earlier pictures of Hawker Hunter FGA.9 XE601 show it wearing an attractive (to my eyes anyway!) light aircraft grey and red colour scheme before it appeared in the more familiar 'raspberry ripple' scheme. I know that there was also a Hunter T.7 in the same scheme as well.

My question is whether this was a standard scheme for A&AEE (Boscombe Down) aircraft before the raspberry ripple scheme came along. I have an idea for a whiff from the early '60's and if this was the 'offical' paint scheme it would made the whiff more 'realistic' (not that it has to be of course! :lol:)

Did the Empire Test Pilots School use the same scheme(s) ?

ta

Kevin
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

PR19_Kit

Even the Raspberry Ripple scheme wasn't standard, it varied from type to type.

That red/grey scheme you mention did pre-date the RP scheme at the RAE but once again it wasn't a 'standard' as such. As there was such a varied fleet of types at Farnborough/Boscombe, many of them being singletons owned by different departments, there were no hard and fast rules and people just painted them so they looked distinctive.

There's quite a good book about all those schemes, which I have but naturally can't find at the moment to give you an ISBN number, sorry.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Knightflyer

Thanks Kit

So basically I could add any 'new' additional aircraft from the early 60's to the A&AEE/RAE/ETPS/School of Aviation Medicine in the grey and red scheme and it could be justafiable (especially in Whiff-World)

KK

PR19_Kit

Your answer is in the last two words of your reply to my reply...........  ;D :lol:

This IS Whiff World, after all, and YOU make the rules.  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Knightflyer

All I can say is ..........Watch this space!  ;)

PS... What was the 'umbrella' organisation for all those aircraft, the RAE?

PR19_Kit

I suppose you could say it was the MoD really, but the RAE was the main stock-holder at Farnborough, and Boscombe was an off-shoot to start with. The ETPS were 'mere' lodgers at both airfields AFAIK.

Whatever you do DON'T think about bringing it up to date, as the advent of privatisation and Qinetic etc. makes all possible logical structures impossible!

Regards
Kit

Knightflyer

Thanks for that info Kit, it doesn't directly affect the Whiff to come, but it fills gaps in my knowledge.

I mentioned the School of Aviation Medicine (which flew green and white Hunter T.7s ?) were there any more lodgers / offshoots ?

Rheged

Quote from: Knightflyer on June 29, 2012, 02:08:06 PM

I mentioned the School of Aviation Medicine (which flew green and white Hunter T.7s ?) were there any more lodgers / offshoots ?

This is Whiffworld,  so:-

Might I  respectfully suggest  any non-UK aircraft you like either as a demonstrator  supplied by a hopeful manufacturer,  or something in "Prise de Guerre"  markings
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

There's RW examples of that too, like the ex-Argentinian stuff that came back from the (first....) Falkands War and the Alpha Jets that fly with Qinetic now.

Regards
Kit

Knightflyer

Well I do like the present black / white colour on the Alpha Jets  :smiley:

My whiff (I've started so hopefully I'll finish!) will be a British aircraft of the late 1950's that will continued to be used into the '60s and possible beyond (possible Elton John connection!  :o ) The plan is for it to be in the grey and read scheme, although I've used used the wrong red on the tailplane!  :angry:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Knightflyer on July 01, 2012, 05:48:33 AM
The plan is for it to be in the grey and read scheme, although I've used used the wrong red on the tailplane!  :angry:

It weathered very badly at times, not a problem............  ;D

Regards
Kit

Knightflyer

Mmmmmm yes!

Would weathering explain Humbrol 174 Signal Red looking like Humbrol 60 Scarlet ?!? :o

Corrected now, tailplane and fin painted, second coat of grey to wings, then I need to mask for the fuselage stripes

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 01, 2012, 09:00:09 AM
The plan is for it to be in the grey and read scheme, although I've used used the wrong red on the tailplane!  :angry:

It weathered very badly at times, not a problem............  ;D

Badly weathered is the most likely answer,but   don't discount the stupid erk who simply used the wrong paint pot.  ........and what  the detachment engineering officer called him is totally unsuitable for repitition here!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Knightflyer

That's precisely what this 'stupid' erk did Rheged.....used the wrong paint pot. Corrected now and walked away from. Any further mistakes I'll add tomorrow!  ;D

NARSES2

Quote from: Rheged on July 01, 2012, 09:12:16 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 01, 2012, 09:00:09 AM
The plan is for it to be in the grey and read scheme, although I've used used the wrong red on the tailplane!  :angry:

It weathered very badly at times, not a problem............  ;D

Badly weathered is the most likely answer,but   don't discount the stupid erk who simply used the wrong paint pot.  ........and what  the detachment engineering officer called him is totally unsuitable for repitition here!

Used that very reason for "wobbly" moments on a couple of my builds  :rolleyes:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.