pusher bi-plane

Started by arkon, June 30, 2012, 10:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: arkon on November 21, 2012, 04:21:52 PM
narse= how does that work, i am not understanding? like recoiless rifle?

Yes, some early "recoiless guns" worked by firing a weight equivalent to the shell rearwards and that countered the recoil.

Early recoiless guns http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recoilless_rifle under History

There are a couple of Soviet 1920's projects which used quite heavy recoiless cannon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_I-12
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

rickshaw

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 22, 2012, 07:55:35 AM
Quote from: arkon on November 21, 2012, 04:21:52 PM
narse= how does that work, i am not understanding? like recoiless rifle?

Yes, some early "recoiless guns" worked by firing a weight equivalent to the shell rearwards and that countered the recoil.

They were called "counter-weight" guns or Davis guns after their inventor.  The US Navy used them in WWII onboard their larger flying boats (Curtiss?) on flexible ring mounts on the bow against U-Boats.  They fired a counter-weight of sand and oil equivalent of the mass of the shell.  Interesting, the principle saw a revival in the 1980s with the Armbrust AT weapon which fired a counterweight of plastic flakes, which also allowed it to be fired from inside enclosed spaces, filling the room with a mass of drifting plastic "snow" by all accounts.  Normal recoilless weapons can't do that without puncturing the eardrums of their users although the US Marines did so at Hue with 106mm RCLs which they manhandled into rooms of buildings during the street fighting there.  They were reported afterwards as "bleeding from their ears" and completely deaf.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

arkon

the plastic gods demand sacrifice

NARSES2

I know it's a biplane and WWI but there's still a "modern" look to that in my view - great work
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.