Shorts Stirling ideas

Started by McColm, July 01, 2012, 03:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

As mentioned earlier the AEW version appeals to me as the source for the radome is becoming availableeither vacform, plastic or resin.
The MkV conversion kit into the transport version with the radome fitted under the nose section, should clear the weapons bay. Although this could house a long range fuel tank or deeper fuselage. Engines could be changed to late Merlins or Griffons (pre-Shackleton AEW2 layout).

A tanker version or aerial water bomber. Still haven't ruled out a seaplane version (parts from the CL-415).

McColm

Been looking over the Airfix kit and wondering if a nose wheel landing gear could be added with a shorter main landing gear. Perhaps cargo doors on both sides of the rear of the fuselage.
Using the C.Mk5 conversion kit. A solid nose and a change of engines. Might try Griffons.

PR19_Kit

With that monster of a rear fuselage you'd need to move the main gear back by a country mile to avoid it being a tail sitter.  :o

You could of course cut a lump out of the rear fuselage and stick it back in forward of the wing, but the CG would be miles out from where it needed to be.....
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

Leading Observer

QuoteStill haven't ruled out a seaplane version (parts from the CL-415).

probably looks like this

LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

McColm

Rheged

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

There's even a kit of it, albeit it in 1/144 scale, and it's big even then!   :o

Anigrand do it, but i's almost $100.....

But you do get an MB5, a Twin Hotspur and the test aircraft for the Malonowski wing, or whatever it was called.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Seen at least one 1/72 scale Shetland. It was in a competition, possibly SMW 2014 ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on December 05, 2015, 05:29:39 AM
Seen at least one 1/72 scale Shetland. It was in a competition, possibly SMW 2014 ?

Again according to the 'Big Book', Contrail did produced it in 1/72 scale.  Now I need to find one myself ---    :lol:  (actually if enough of us petitioned Aircraft in Miniature, Neil Gaunt might put it back into production as he has the Contrail moulds now)
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

KJ_Lesnick

Where did the Short Shetland store its bombs?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

Rheged

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on December 05, 2015, 02:34:05 PM

Not sure, but its older brother the Sunderland wound them out from ports under the wing roots.

Or perhaps it didn't need bombs....the sight of that enormous  thing coming at you out of the clouds would frighten most people into giving up there and then.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

sandiego89

Quote from: KJ_Lesnick on December 05, 2015, 02:34:05 PM

I don't know.  An educated guess would be bombs would be on racks under the inner wings like the Sunderland. The single military version that was built was not fitted with turrets/guns and seemed to be more of a proof of concept.    
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

The Wooksta!

Mel Bromley was selling 144th Shetlands at Telford for £20 a pop.  Nearly got one but it's not my scale...
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

McColm

Could carry bombs/ torpedoes under the wings like the Stirling bomber arrangement.