Shorts Stirling ideas

Started by McColm, July 01, 2012, 03:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: The Wooksta! on December 05, 2015, 04:02:48 PM
Mel Bromley was selling 144th Shetlands at Telford for £20 a pop.  Nearly got one but it's not my scale...

Yup he was selling them at the LMS yesterday. Very nearly went for one, but resisted temptation
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

If I see them again, I will be having one.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

JayBee

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Captain Canada

lol. A 144th scale revolution is afoot !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

The 1/44 Shetland kit includes options for both military and civil versions
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

Civil?  I do aircraft that kill people!
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: The Wooksta! on December 08, 2015, 10:02:07 AM
Civil?  I do aircraft that kill people!

Except the ones that take photos of them.........  ;D :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Wooksta!

Yes, but they're still operated by the military - who do kill people!

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

Captain Canada

...and they're garnering info to make it easier to kill people. Reminds of that T-shirt my bro had as kids " Join the Army ! See the world ! Meet lots of interesting people....and kill them !"
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

McColm

I have an idea for the Stirling MkVII , to be converted into an MR/ASW. The ventral radome off the resin Shackleton conversion set fits and the RR Griffons as well. There is a resin set on eBay .Using the resin parts from the Stirling V correction set, could still use the forward guns and delete the upper and rear turrets. Main undercarriage to be lowered. Painted in Coastal Command colours.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McColm on December 18, 2015, 10:26:41 AM
Main undercarriage to be lowered.

And there lies the problem.

The Stirling needed to be like that because of its small wing and had to have a high angle of incidence to take-off.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Caveman

Quote from: Caveman on July 03, 2012, 02:14:00 PM
Quote from: raafif on July 02, 2012, 11:06:50 PM
forget about the Short Stirling ..... build the Long Sterling -- proper length wings + Merlins ..... oh, yes, & redesign the internals 1940-aircraft style not 1900's-submarine style :rolleyes:

Check this out...

Stirling's wings are basically the same span as its contemporaries, they just have a really large chord length which makes them look short.

Kit, post of mine from page 1 stirling's wings were probably the greatest area of all the heavies. The long gear was for access under the really long fuselage.
secretprojects forum migrant

McColm

I think I have a couple of auxiliary jets either from the Neptune or KC-97 kits, they'd look good under the wings.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Caveman on December 19, 2015, 11:51:12 AM
Kit, post of mine from page 1 stirling's wings were probably the greatest area of all the heavies. The long gear was for access under the really long fuselage.

Not probably, the Stirling WAS the largest area wing of the three RAF WWII heavies, see my post on page 1 further down.

Your comparison drawing doesn't make a case for bomb bay access. Compare the height under the Stirling with that of the Lanc and Hali and it's MUCH greater anyway, even taking into account the length.

I'm sure I've read somewhere about the Stirling wing, having been developed from that of the Empire flying boat and with an older airfoil section, needed a steeper angle of incidence to produce enough lift to get the heavy bomb loads off on the shot grass airfields that it was designed for.

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on December 19, 2015, 02:40:51 PM
Quote from: Caveman on December 19, 2015, 11:51:12 AM

Not probably, the Stirling WAS the largest area wing of the three RAF WWII heavies, see my post on page 1 further down.

Your comparison drawing doesn't make a case for bomb bay access. Compare the height under the Stirling with that of the Lanc and Hali and it's MUCH greater anyway, even taking into account the length.

I'm sure I've read somewhere about the Stirling wing, having been developed from that of the Empire flying boat and with an older airfoil section, needed a steeper angle of incidence to produce enough lift to get the heavy bomb loads off on the shot grass airfields that it was designed for.

Absolutely correct Kit!!

From Warpaint No 15 Short Stirling, page 4. The following comments were made after the first service pilots had a chance to fly the S.31 half scale prototype.

"In general the opinion was that it had good handling qualities but it was considered that its take-off run was rather long. A three degree increase in wing incidence was recommended.
But Stirling production had already started so Gouge (the aircraft's designer) compromised by adding three degrees to the ground angle by lengthening the main undercarriage legs."

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....