Shorts Stirling ideas

Started by McColm, July 01, 2012, 03:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

The wing incidence issue was not a result of the wing being borrowed from the Empire boats 
or an 'old aerofoil section' (all of the boats from the S.23 C Type aka Empire through the S.45 Seaford/Solent
used a modified Göttingen 436), nor was Gouge bothered by the wingspan limitations, the massive flaps
(flap chord 48% of total wing chord) that he fitted more than made up for that element. The incidence issue
was that the 3 1/2º angle chosen was optimized for minimal cruise drag, not take-off run.

McColm

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on December 19, 2015, 04:38:25 PM

"In general the opinion was that it had good handling qualities but it was considered that its take-off run was rather long. A three degree increase in wing incidence was recommended.
But Stirling production had already started so Gouge (the aircraft's designer) compromised by adding three degrees to the ground angle by lengthening the main undercarriage legs."

:thumbsup: Alastair.

[/smug mode]
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

Had a crazy idea on the bus going to work. It's to turn the Stirling into a fighter bomber by mounting the fuselage sections of Hurricanes or Spitfires over the wings, so you'd get a four engined Merlin Stirling. Guns  fitted into the wings.  Either a long range fuel tank or bombs  carried  in the weapons bay or wing bays.
The fighters would be stripped of all fly controls.
Could also be used as a training aircraft.
Daft but  might just work!

Captain Canada

Interesting stuff, thanks guys !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

KJ_Lesnick

Simple idea I have: Retroactively design the Stirling with a folding wing so it can use the full wingspan
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

tigercat

McColm

The resin 1/72 conversation Avro Lancastrain fits the Airfix  Stirling although the main landing gear will need to be lowered as the tail cone will scrape on the ground.
Using this conversion for an airliner would work as the fuselage has plenty of windows to make it a period sleeper aircraft.

The Wooksta!

Why use a Lancastrian conversion when both Mel Bromley (S+M Models) and Magna do the Stirling V transport?
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Captain Canada

I'll have to look into those aeroplanes Wooksta!

:drink:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

McColm

Quote from: The Wooksta! on January 31, 2016, 04:05:50 PM
Why use a Lancastrian conversion when both Mel Bromley (S+M Models) and Magna do the Stirling V transport?
I also have the Heritage Aviation Models Limited resin 1/72 Stirling V transport conversion set, just looking for something different.

ysi_maniac

Lancaster and Stirling interchange tails.

Will die without understanding this world.

ysi_maniac

BTW: Why is Lancaster's thread closed ?  :unsure:
Will die without understanding this world.

PR19_Kit

Both of those look pretty darn good.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 08, 2017, 01:30:43 AM
Both of those look pretty darn good.  :thumbsup:

They do indeed  :thumbsup:

Quote from: ysi_maniac on October 07, 2017, 10:35:48 PM
BTW: Why is Lancaster's thread closed ?  :unsure:

Carlos I've sent you a P.M.

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.