A Pair of He-100's...Sort of

Started by sequoiaranger, July 02, 2012, 08:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

It's "Hien", BTW (Swallow). Even though, Hein would be appropriate, it's a Northern German name.  ;)

The Wooksta!

Has anyone ever thought of doing a jet He 100 a la Yak 15?  More believable than the similar Bf 109TL and with a wider track u/c probably better.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

sequoiaranger

>It's "Hien", BTW (Swallow). <

Yes---OOPS! I had inadvertantly transposed the e and i. Will correct in all posts!!

>So, a lot of future turbo-prop/jet Ki-61 Hien's in your future?<

No, but I have "need" of two real-world Ki.100's (bubble-top and regular), and had thought of doing a "paint-whif" Italian Ki.61 "Tony" (it has been done before, but I had thought of it independently). At one time I must have had about twenty-five 1/72 Hasaegawa and Fine Mold Ki.61's plus the Nichimo, UPC, Revell (loved the inaccurate side-opening canopy!!), Aosima, etc.  Then I pared it down to a "few".

>Has anyone ever thought of doing a jet He 100 a la Yak 15? <

Yes, there is such a one (concept drawing) on the "Beyond the Sprues" board.

http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=1552.0   Post # 19
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

The Wooksta!

If you can find them at a reasonable price, I'd suggest the Fine Mold's Ki 100s.  Very nice kits, although the older (1997?) boxings are just the old Hasegawa Ki 61 kit with the Ki 100 fuselages and other bits on an extra sprue. 
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

sequoiaranger

>If you can find them at a reasonable price, I'd suggest the Fine Mold's Ki 100s.  Very nice kits, although the older (1997?) boxings are just the old Hasegawa Ki 61 kit with the Ki 100 fuselages and other bits on an extra sprue.<

Yes indeedy! I have both the Fine Molds bubble-top and regular Ki.100. Dunno if they are from that far back. I had also hand-made a resin master for the Ki.100 that Model-Aire-International was going to produce (it appears on some M.A.I. box-tops as a future offering), but some under-cuts needing re-design set back the project, and then almost immediately Fine Molds came out with their injection-mold versions anyway.   :angry:

Been chugging along on both the "factory" He-100 and the FMA-100T. PSR done, now putting on a few fiddly bits, will "do" the cockpits and pilots, button them up and start applying paint. Scrounged around for various Lindberg He-100 parts and had enough to cobble together yet another He-100, but this will be a "painting dummy" to see how the paint/decal schemes I have in mind look before the irrevocable happens. I now have *ALMOST* as many He-100's as Heinkel did!!  :party:

PS--  :blink: it just now came to me why I don't have the historic original "Cellovision" box of the Lindberg He-100 when it first came out (late 60's?). I remember a cantankerous cat we had way back when had somehow urinated on the box (maybe repeatedly). It stank SO BADLY (I remember "washing" it in a vain attempt to get the stench out, but it just "refreshed" the awful smell) I grudgingly threw it out.

Weaver

This is looking great - nice one! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 13, 2012, 04:58:26 AM
Has anyone ever thought of doing a jet He 100 a la Yak 15?  More believable than the similar Bf 109TL and with a wider track u/c probably better.

Yes! It's on my "to do" list for a post-WWII extended Spanish Civil War scenario. I have several He-100s and a PM Yak-15 in custody....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

The Wooksta!

Quote from: Weaver on July 16, 2012, 09:09:28 AM
Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 13, 2012, 04:58:26 AM

Yes! It's on my "to do" list for a post-WWII extended Spanish Civil War scenario. I have several He-100s and a PM Yak-15 in custody....

You'd be better off with a Revell Me 262 engine than the Yak 15.  Better detail.  Plus the u/c track will need widening as the jet exhaust will melt the tyres on cycling.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

sequoiaranger

The old Lindberg He-100 I cobbled together I used as a "painting dummy" testbed for paint, scheme, and decals for the ultimate FMA-100T whif. Here is the old Lindy kit in strictly Japanese markings, as if the "AXHei" that they bought from Germany was properly dressed up!

Now comes the proposed scheme of "Germanizing" the aircraft for the FMA-100T. The "black-green" used for the design just seems too black, but I wanted to darken and "interrupt" the plain Japanese scheme a bit. Next, TO MY SHOCK, the white-outline crosses I had planned to use are not NEARLY big enough--the first set I tried (no pics) made a "red cross" in a circle, looking like a "hospital plane". I wanted the ends of the outlined Balkenkruez to extend well beyond the Hinomaru. The ones in THIS pic are THE LARGEST I HAVE and they aren't large enough to get the look I want, even on AS SMALL a plane as the tiny He-100! The ones on the sides are close to the look I want, though the Hinomaru there is very small (it'll be bigger on the FMA-100T). I need more cross "extension" for the wings. I searched through my extensive decal collection AND looked at some bomber kits--no such decals!!

So I am off to the "Swap shop" to get some...1/48-scale Balkenkruez' from someone willing to part with them.

PR19_Kit

That's one neat looking model you did there.  :thumbsup: :bow:

I'm sure it will be even better when you find those decals but it's great so far.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sequoiaranger

PR_19--Thanks. I *DO* like the look I had in mind. Achieving it is another thing.

Well! Anyone remember HisAirDec? Long ago (60's) "Historical Air Decals" printed sheets of, at least German, numbers, letters, octane markings, and various sizes of Balkenkruez' and swastikas. Each color was printed separately, so if you wanted the typical black/white Balkenkruez you needed the black and the white versions overlaid.

(Gawd, I kinda miss the 70s/80's, when decal sets by ABT, Esci, MicroScale, Almark, Modelmark, Historicals, A.I.R, Stoppel, Stein, etc., produced their "cottage industry" of decals. HisAirDec was the first; at least the first one that I became aware of.)

*LUCKILY*, I found some suitable white outline (top and sides) and black outline (bottom) oversized Balkenkruez on the HisAirDec sheets. Now I cross my fingers that the ancient decals still will behave. I have kept all my considerable decal stash in tight (nearly airtight) file boxes out of heat and sunlight all these years (in fact, when I open up the box, the decals squint at the bright light!).

I wouldn't HAVE to have such oversized Balkenkruez if my "backstory" wasn't "fixed". Though the "backstory" has the FMA-100T and the Aichi 119 opearating out of the same land base (presumably prepared in the same paint shop), as a modeler I hate to have the same camo/markings on two aircraft unless I am DELIBERATELY trying to make a "set". The "Aichi 119" torpedo bomber has the proper "Sonnekruez", but that assumes a deliberate German paint job from the get-go. The Germans put very small Hinomarus on the 119 so that the arms of the Balkenkruez could easily extend using "standard"-sized crosses. *MY* FMA-100T's story is that to fill out the Graf Zeppelin's ranks of fighters, it is a hastily-converted REPLACEMENT aircraft from strictly Japanese stock, with "normal"-sized Hinomarus "needing" only an "overlay" of a now-oversized Balkenkruez. The complicated camo on the Aichi 119 would be "un-necessary", but SOME break-up of the single-color Japanese scheme was deemed advisable. Brush-painting on some sort of second color in an interruptive pattern was an expedient.

I have always liked the pre-war tail markings that carry the look and colors of the German flag. But why so large?? In the words of Admiral Marschall (in charge of the Pacific Kommando group bearing his name and operating with the Japanese) interviewed after the war, "Ve vanted you to KNOW fee are Cherman! Notink says Cherman like Svastika!!"

The Wooksta!

Just do what the RAF et al normally did - overpaint the roundel or whatever in a slightly different shade and apply their own national markings.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

sequoiaranger

>Just do what the RAF et al normally did - overpaint the roundel or whatever in a slightly different shade and apply their own national markings.<

Yes, I *COULD* have done that. But I have done that to two other models (He-113 and MC-605), and wanted something "different" and have that "hastily-applied" look. So of course I am my own worst enemy!! But, it provides the satisfaction of variety.

Besides, one day I hope to display my "5 He-100 Cousins" at a large IPMS event (they DO still have their category for "set of five", don't they??), and one of them already has "re-applied" markings in the manner you described.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 16, 2012, 04:54:22 AM
If you can find them at a reasonable price, I'd suggest the Fine Mold's Ki 100s.  Very nice kits, although the older (1997?) boxings are just the old Hasegawa Ki 61 kit with the Ki 100 fuselages and other bits on an extra sprue. 

There's AFAIK also at least one Ki-100 available (in 1:72) from RS Models? The kits are O.K., but limited run production, and IMHO a bit pricey (a kit comes at about EUR 18,-).

sequoiaranger

....funny, I took a new pic of the result to post here, but the *PIC* shows no seeming color change between the "black-green" version and the "Dark Blue" one, but it is VERY apparent on the "painting-dummy" model. I'm going to paint the final FMA-100T with the Dark Blue squggles. I will "refine" the squiggles on the final product--the pics show just whipped-up examples for concept clarification (and I am glad I tried them out).

Maybe my last post for awhile. I am off to Alaska for a week, starting tomorrow!

NARSES2

Quote from: sequoiaranger on July 18, 2012, 08:16:19 AM
Well! Anyone remember HisAirDec? Long ago (60's) "Historical Air Decals" printed sheets of, at least German, numbers, letters, octane markings, and various sizes of Balkenkruez' and swastikas. Each color was printed separately, so if you wanted the typical black/white Balkenkruez you needed the black and the white versions overlaid.

Yup I remember those days with fondness. Still got and use some of sheets I bought back then from BMW's in Wimbledon  ;D

Enjoy Alaska
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.