Strategic Steam Reserve and other urban legends

Started by tigercat, July 03, 2012, 12:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigercat

There's an urban myth which lingered for a long time about a secret cache of  steam engines to be used in time of nuclear war kept underground somewhere

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_steam_reserve

I suspect the Burma spitfires may be a variation on this theme. There may well be buried aircraft but I suspect they may not be the pristine examples that some may wish for.

Another staple of fiction writers is stashs of Nazi jets etc in underground factories.

Martin H

Quote from: tigercat on July 03, 2012, 12:59:39 PM
There's an urban myth which lingered for a long time about a secret cache of  steam engines to be used in time of nuclear war kept underground somewhere

No doubt managed by Pete Waterman
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Steel Penguin

i liked the comment abought the preserved lines,  ive always had the tinfoil hat humor of pointing out that its some group of Victorian vampire elites pet project and they plan on linking them up eventualy.
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Steel Penguin on July 03, 2012, 02:06:11 PM
i liked the comment abought the preserved lines,  ive always had the tinfoil hat humor of pointing out that its some group of Victorian vampire elites pet project and they plan on linking them up eventualy.

Take a look at a map of preserved railway lines in the UK and you're not THAT far wrong.......  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TallEng

Just had a look at the link; most Amusing um I mean informative :thumbsup:
Which reminded me, (Pulls up a lantern and swings the sandbag) ;D a long, long time ago
I was in the Space Cadets, and we had a summer camp at Rudloe Manor, the highlight of
Which was a tour of the underground tunnel system which is below Rudloe Manor.
I am pretty sure we got access to the tunnels by walking down a loong set of steps
From one the barrack blocks on the camp. We got to see where the railway line came in from Box tunnel
And where they unloaded/loaded the shells from the sidings once inside the system, most interesting for
A young lad. ( and had we had a strategic steam reserve you could have hidden them all in there the place
Seemed huge!)

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

tigercat

I believe it now officially the Virgin Secret Strategic Steam Reserve.  It was supposed to be scrapped in 1991 but is running behind schedule.

royabulgaf

"a long, long time ago
I was in the Space Cadets, "

Many of us on this forum seem to be current members. :wacko:
The Leng Plateau is lovely this time of year

Martin H

Quote from: royabulgaf on July 04, 2012, 04:28:55 PM
"a long, long time ago
I was in the Space Cadets, "

Many of us on this forum seem to be current members. :wacko:

aka the Air Training Corps. ;D  7 years as a Cadet and 14 years as civilian staff on 5F (Northampton) squadron here ;D
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

royabulgaf

Ahh- I didn't know it was a euphemism for the ATC.  I had no intention of slurring that organization.
The Leng Plateau is lovely this time of year