low intensity formation light panels

Started by darthspud, July 04, 2012, 07:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darthspud

Ok, so late life version TSR2 in RAF service

Where do the lo-density formation light panels go and how do i best model them?
Paint?
Decals?
????

Anyone
too old for a paper round, too young for me pensions, dammit, back to work then!

scooter

Decals probably.  And go for a combination of Phantom/Eagle/Hornet placements?  Vertical fin, fuselage, wingtips.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Cliffy B

They put them on the sides of the nose as well.  I thought the wingtip lights were different from the fuselage "slime lights" ?

They're too detailed to paint to make them look right even in 1/48 IMO.  Source some decals.
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

darthspud

The kit is 1/72.
Guess it's decals then.

ok, who does them?
Hannants isn't in the game, tried already.
too old for a paper round, too young for me pensions, dammit, back to work then!

Cliffy B

I don't know of any sheets with just lights.  You'll probably have to get a sheet for a modern US plane to get any unless someone has some spares.  You can try these sheets.

Hornet - All 3 panel lights but enough for at least 2 maybe 3 aircraft and maybe some other goodies you can use.
http://www.freetimeaa.com/HD72034.aspx

Phantom - 3 and 4 panel lights for one bird
http://www.freetimeaa.com/ID72035.aspx

A lot of sheets I looked through usually don't have them so look closely.

Hope that helps.

-Tom Clancy

-Anonymous

-Anonymous

scooter

Check out Squadron.com.  But you'll have to source from an existing a/c sheet, like an F-15.  Or use blank decal film and a lemony yellow and cut to fit.

Quote from: Cliffy B on July 04, 2012, 08:16:05 AM
They put them on the sides of the nose as well.  I thought the wingtip lights were different from the fuselage "slime lights" ?

They're too detailed to paint to make them look right even in 1/48 IMO.  Source some decals.

Depending on the fighter, the wingtips also have slime lights, F-15s for one, and I *think* -14s had them as well
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

darthspud

I'm thinking just forward of cockpit, topside of the outer wing tips and on the rudder, possibly one on the intake area too.
As the TSR 2 is such a big beast 4 would be appropriate i think.

Cliffy B

Every plane I've ever seen with those lights, NONE of them have them on a control surface.  You never want to mount anything like that on a control surface anyway, you're just asking for trouble.
-Tom Clancy

-Anonymous

-Anonymous

Mossie

The TSR.2 has an all moving vertical fin, so if you're mounting them there it's got to be on a control surface.  Because of the huge area though, fin movements are relatively small so shouldn't cause much of a problem.

Harrier II's have them too, I 've had the odd one in the past that has them in decal form.  Not sure if I've got any now, but I'll have a look for you.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

darthspud

mounting on wing tips, the bit that droops down wouldn't be a control surface?  Well not as far as i can tell from the drawings and looking at the kits.
The rudder ones wouldn't be an issue either