boeing/bristol nf-8 bittern

Started by lenny100, July 06, 2012, 07:47:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenny100

The F8 was, when it first flew in 1943 the largest and heaviest single-seat, single-engine fighter developed in the United States.
Boeing called the F8 optimistically, the "five-in-one fighter" (fighter, interceptor, dive bomber, torpedo bomber, or level bomber).
It was powered by a single 3,000 hp (2,200 kW) Pratt & Whitney XR-4360-10 four-row 28-cylinder radial engine, driving two three-bladed contra-rotating propellers. It would be the largest single-seat piston fighter to fly in the U.S. to date.
The large wings featured outer sections which could fold vertically, while the fuselage incorporated an internal bomb bay and large fuel tanks; more fuel could be carried externally.
The proposed armament included six 0.50 inch (12.7 mm) machine guns or six 20 mm wing-mounted cannons, and a 6,400 lb (2,900 kg) bomb load or two 2,000 lb (900 kg) torpedoes.
The final configuration was a large but streamlined design, featuring a bubble canopy, sturdy main undercarriage that folded into the wings, and topped by a variation on the B-29 vertical tail.
The Bristol aircraft company in early 1944 obtained a licence to build a version of the fb 8 for the royal navy to be operated form the new Malta class carriers which were nearing completion.
In 1948 NF-8 Bittern first flew as a dedicated nightfighter-bomber equipped with a westinghouse APS-6 radar on the right wing and fitted with 6 20mm hispano cannon and two 4 bladed contra-rotating propellers.
Shown is a NF-8 during its last combat missions on board HMS Malta during the Battle of Pusan Perimeter  lasting from August 4 to September 18, 1950 , it was withdrawn form front line service shortly after due airframe damage on most aircraft, and a shortage of replacement parts on what was now seen as obsolescent aircraft. no aircraft are know to on display altough a cockpit is on display at the fleet air arm museum

i think i need to look at the undercart, it looks a bit wimpy for a carrier aircraft
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

sequoiaranger

My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

andrewj

Interesting, looks like a Skyraider /Wyvern /Sea Fury hybred, nicely done indeed.

Andrew

lenny100

apart from the wyvern props it all the real aircraft, only replaced the kits one because they looked rubish.
i did the wing fold myself using plastic card.

its a big aircraft bigger than a skyrader, which it lost out to in the real world because it was ready to late for use in the far east.

redstar72

Quote from: lenny100 on July 06, 2012, 10:10:52 AM
apart from the wyvern props it all the real aircraft, only replaced the kits one because they looked rubish.

Also these large "radiator shrouds" (or whatever is it?) on the fuselage sides? The genuine XF8B didn't have such things:

Best regards,
Soviet Aviation enthusiast

PR19_Kit

Quote from: redstar72 on July 06, 2012, 11:16:52 PM

Also these large "radiator shrouds" (or whatever is it?) on the fuselage sides? The genuine XF8B didn't have such things:

But this is WhiffWorld, the Boeing-Bristol NF-8 Bittern DID have them.............  ;D :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

What surprises me is how tiny the tailwheel is...
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

lenny100

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 07, 2012, 12:54:14 AM
Quote from: redstar72 on July 06, 2012, 11:16:52 PM

But this is WhiffWorld, the Boeing-Bristol NF-8 Bittern DID have them.............  ;D :lol:
they are dual purpose as they both hide the exhaust from the engines at night and they also use the heat to warm the heating system for the 20mm guns, which was a large problem with the spitfire etc. at high altitude

the tail wheel is smaller than a spits i might change it , if i get another of these kits i might look at doing a photo recon with the obliquity big wing, this thing might of had the range to fly from the Canada to Europe and then back in this guise

NARSES2

Got that kit in the stash - first I've seen built (I think) - nice one Lenny  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Army of One

Oh yes.....I like that....love the paint job.... :thumbsup:
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!