KC-33B

Started by McColm, July 12, 2012, 10:05:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Hi Guys,
Although the Australains did do a study into using the Boeing 747 as an air transporter and boom inflight refueling aircraft known then as the KC-33A.
My idea is to Use a 1/144 kit and add underwing refueling pods instead of the boom, with a inflight refueling probe instead of the fixed reciever in the nose.
If I can find 4 other podded engines I'll pair these up, giving the KC-33B eight engines instead of the usual four. I know you can get a 1/72 scale B-747, but these go for silly money unless you've got one spare?

PR19_Kit

The Revell 747-400, by far the best 1/144 747 kit there is, is available new from the Big H at £19, which isn't too bad to my mind, as it was only £14 when they bought it out in the 90s. There are even cheaper ones of the same kit on Ebay.

Whatever you do, don't even THINK about the Airfix monstrosity, it's appalling and good only for spares, like the early P&W engines and landing gear.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Nick

Didn't the Iranian Air Force do something similar in the 1970's? Pretty sure they have a 747 tanker.

Gondor

Quote from: Nick on July 13, 2012, 06:21:40 AM
Didn't the Iranian Air Force do something similar in the 1970's? Pretty sure they have a 747 tanker.

Yes they did, 747-100's I believe. The KC-33 was Boeing's rival bid for a tanker that resulted in the KC-10

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

jcf

Iran bought several used 747s and they were converted to military configuration by Boeing-Wichita.
All received the side cargo door and in-flight refueling capability. Three were equipped with the Boeing
flying boom system.

The original 747 prototype, City of Everett, was also flown with the boom system in an
attempt to interest domestic and international customers  in the potential of a 747 tanker.

McColm

The USAF did have a dozen or so 747 to be used as standby transport aircraft known as C-19s.
I'm not too sure if anyone proposed an AWACS version.

Mossie

All of the above from Secret Projects, more 747 variants there:
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,523.0.html

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

McColm

Thanks,
I'll need to buy some more 1/144 747 kits!!

McColm

Hi
the kit I've got is the Boeing 747-8 which is the largest 747 with the extended upper deck. The 1/72 Hawkeye spin top sits very well and the length of the model is slightly longer than the Airfix 1/72 Nimrod. It will be the first kit build where I haven't tinkered with any of the fittings.
I'm still waiting for my delivery of a 1/72 B-52G, I'll see if I can use the engine pylon mounts on the 747, as I've got 6 CFM engines in my stash.

Mossie

B-52 style engines and extended upper deck?  You could maybe do the Skyfleet S570 from Casion Royale then:

The original aircraft had a shorter upper deck, but was dressed up for the film with the longer deck and the blunt nose as well:
http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/planes/q0297.shtml
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

The Wooksta!

You can just see that berk Clarkson smashing into it as he hares around the track.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

McColm

Wasn't that the one with David Niven and Ronnie Corbet? :banghead:
I'll give it a go, thanks. :thumbsup:

Gondor

Quote from: McColm on July 19, 2012, 09:37:37 AM
Wasn't that the one with David Niven and Ronnie Corbet? :banghead:
I'll give it a go, thanks. :thumbsup:

That was the Original film version, the Skyfleet S570 was from the remake.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

McColm

Looks like something one of you CGI Whiffers might have thought up :banghead: