7th Generation Combat Aircraft

Started by tc2324, July 15, 2012, 01:04:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tc2324

As we enter the era of the 5th Gen combat aircraft, I`m looking to start researching my next whif project which would be a concept fighter/bomber which would fall under the 7th Gen catagory. It seems that some experts think the 6th Gen will be based on the UAV approach, but I feel that for the 7th gen, putting a pilot back in the seat will be the way to go.

A few ideas I`ve had so far are,

1. Aircraft capable of space flight
2. Alternative power scource (something a bit more realistic though than `warp` drive)
3. Going backwards (What I mean by this is that the aerospace industry de-evolves going back to props or less technical designs as the ECM avionics can now supply a safe enviroment for the aircraft to operate in)
4. Ultimate VTOL design (A VTOL aircraft that surpasses previous designs)

Would love to hear your thoughts and ideas on this one.  :thumbsup: 

74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

Steel Penguin

brain in a jar cyber body.  decant the pod into whatever body you happen to want to use.
smallest size to do the job ( not nessecerily tiny but compact)
possibly some kind of adaptive tecnology able to shift shape for best results at the given moment,  giving arrowhead shape for getting there fast, then PR19Kit size wings for loiter time, etc.
for space combat possibly a  pure sphere with extending arms for attitude controll efficancy.

the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Steel Penguin on July 15, 2012, 01:25:46 AM
then PR19Kit size wings for loiter time, etc.

Is that a new unit of measurement then?  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Steel Penguin

YUP.
PR19 kit wing span
Tophe number of fuselages
a Radish of unuseualness
:lol:
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 

RussC

And for me, a mathematical constant of -1 to the tail surfaces!

;D ;D ;D
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

Supertom

Hey Russ,

I'd say optical camouflage.  There was an article in Popular Mechanics a couple of years about about skinning an aircraft with color CLD that would see what's on the other side of the aircraft and project said image on the skin, much like the "invisibility cloak" experiments that were the rage when the Harry Potter movies came out.
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

NARSES2

Now that's the first time I've ever even began to understand what optical comoflage and cloaking actually means. Cheers Tom  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Caveman

How about extend the bandwidth of the system to include IR (as demonstrated on several tanks) UV and possibly radar(?)
secretprojects forum migrant

RussC

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 16, 2012, 07:23:31 AM
Now that's the first time I've ever even began to understand what optical comoflage and cloaking actually means. Cheers Tom  :thumbsup:

And not a new concept either, remembering a history channel segment where a method was sought to keep u-boats from spotting incoming planes like the Sunderland, which appear black against the sky backdrop. The proposed solution was to fit two Leigh searchlights on each wing and one on the nose and run them on a lower wattage so that the 5 bright-er spots would break up the image in binoculars into small bits, not seen until very close. The idea was that audible engines would be the first warning to the submarine crew and might not be heard over the diesels until too late to dive or crew the AA guns. Experiments with lights to break up warship images or blind optical rangefinders tried as well.
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

NARSES2

Quote from: RussC on July 17, 2012, 02:12:50 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on July 16, 2012, 07:23:31 AM

And not a new concept either, remembering a history channel segment where a method was sought to keep u-boats from spotting incoming planes like the Sunderland, which appear black against the sky backdrop. The proposed solution was to fit two Leigh searchlights on each wing and one on the nose and run them on a lower wattage so that the 5 bright-er spots would break up the image in binoculars into small bits, not seen until very close. The idea was that audible engines would be the first warning to the submarine crew and might not be heard over the diesels until too late to dive or crew the AA guns. Experiments with lights to break up warship images or blind optical rangefinders tried as well.

Yup Russ. Like a lot of things once someone has managed to explain something to you and strip away the mystic then you see examples all over the place. That's what good teachers can do  :bow: And they are very rare
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Caveman

if you have a secret projects account check out this application of PR19Kit wings...

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Caveman on July 18, 2012, 11:27:46 AM
if you have a secret projects account check out this application of PR19Kit wings...

Sadly I don't............  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Steel Penguin

me neither, all i get is a little box wif a red X  :banghead:.

Caveman

that is a pity, i dont have an image hosting account...

martinbayer

How about submersible airplanes (a la UFO Skydiver)?

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.