Question: Inline Radiator Design

Started by KJ_Lesnick, July 15, 2012, 07:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJ_Lesnick

I know that around 1915, Junkers patented a cooling duct for it's inline powered fighters.  Was the knowledge of this kind of cooling duct available in the U.S. or Britain post WW1?  Sounds like it would be, but it wasn't until the 1930's that the British, and United States started developing radiators for inlines that were highly efficient.

Anybody have any answers?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

wuzak

They may have.

The British and US designs were based on the works of Meredith at the RAE, and his Meredith Effect.

KJ_Lesnick

I know of the Meredith effect, but I'm wondering with the Germans doing work in 1915 if it was known in the UK and US.

Regardless, could the knowledge from the research into NACA cowls be applied to radiator designs in the same time-frame?
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.