High Mobility Battlefield Logistics Transport - The Build

Started by Old Wombat, July 16, 2012, 09:07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

OK, I've started this build .....(Actually, I started over a week ago)..... but slowly, to start with, due to work & family commitments.

I've settled on a number of elements regarding this vehicle;

1. It is armoured for front-line or hostile territory operations.
2. Thinking about freight transport got me thinking about road-trains (I'm Australian, OK?) which, in turn, got me thinking about real trains.
    Specifically, about engines, carriages & brake/guards vans (cabooses) & how I could make them apply to this freight transport system.
    So, there are 3 types of rolling stock on this "off-road-train" (tractor, trailer & guard-van).
3. I'm only making 2 types of rolling stock; a tractor & a guard-van (I don't have the money to go chopping up another Stryker for a trailer).
4. It is going to be built as a Royal Australian Marines entrant into the Aussierama TB.

Pic's will be forthcoming when/if the weather improves.

:cheers:

Guy
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Old Wombat

Fifthcoming pic's are here! ;)

Overall view from left;

Overall view from right;

Tractor from left;

Tractor from right;

Tractor from top;

Guard-van (caboose) from left;

Guard-van from right;

Guard-van from top;

You will probably have noticed the distinct bow in the middle of the guard-van. It's amazing how often I measure 2, 3, even 6 times - yet, when I cut, it still isn't right! :banghead:
Just one of those things I'll have to fix as the build goes on! :rolleyes:

I'm also going to have to work out how to build some interior detail for this because I'm going to have the driver "windows" deployed & the side hatch open on the tractor, & the rear hatch (&, possibly, the side hatch) open on the guard-van. Also, I'll be trying to scratch-build a forklift (Curse you, rickshaw! ;) ).

Still lots of plastic surgery left before I get onto that, though. :blink:

Guy

scooter

And looks very post-apocalyptic, like something you'd see in Mad Max.  And being a former Support BN troop, I'm looking forward to seeing this build.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

buzzbomb

kerick

This looks crazy good. I will be watching this one!!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

Thanks, gents! :bow:

Nothing done today, so far, but I'm about to go out & attack plastic! Wish me luck! :thumbsup:

Guy

bigarv65

I love this idea!  Looking forward to it's construction.  I know you'll add a freight car someday, too.
"He got down from his horse, which seemed strange to him as he had always believed that you got down from a duck or a goose."

Go4fun

Having been a soldier in the United States Army I a watching this with great interest. I was a Supply Sergeant at times and I can tell you that the morale of the troops can ride on "Beans, Bullets and Tidy Paper". Throw in a hot rations delivery every day you can and they will fight their best. Skip all this and they might spend more time trying to jump any supply convoy that happens by, including 'friendlies'.
A vehicle like this is as important as a gunship helicopter or a tank in the long run of a battle as "A well cared for soldier fights better".
I'm sure you'll get it all sorted out in the end Wombat.
"Just which planet are you from again"?

Old Wombat

Thanks, bigarv65 & Go4fun! :bow:

Just a quick update to show how little has actually been achieved since the last batch of pic's:

So you can see that there is nothing new on the tractor;

Various overview pic's of the caboose;

Some detail shots of the caboose;

Most of the work, so far, has been thinking about the layout of the caboose interior & How-on-Earth do I find a small-enough forklift to fit in there! :banghead:

I've bought the Legend "Stryker Driver's Compartment" detail set to do up the inside of the tractor & I'll scratch-build some detail for the commander/gunners position.
I've also settled on a design for the forklift which will be based on the Bobcat design but significantly smaller (there ain't much room in an APC hull).

Guy

bigarv65

That's just a cool concept.  I've been around a lot of military logistic operations, and imagining the sight of a military train like this is wild.  I'll be keeping an eye on this one. :smiley:
"He got down from his horse, which seemed strange to him as he had always believed that you got down from a duck or a goose."

Captain Canada

Neat stuff. I used to love sketching big vehicles like this, so to see one being built in plastic is awesome !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Old Wombat

rickshaw

I see my influence at work.   :wacko:

Get a 1/72 forklift model, remove the top with the seat and put a 1/35 sized seat at the rear.  Planet Models do a German one which would be ideal, albeit a bit pricey:

Alternatively, install rollers on the floor, to allow the pallets (I do hope you're planning to palletise your supplies?) to be moved to the rear where a standard forklift can grab them because there is no way a set of Forks could manoeuvre in that space.

Even a 1/43 diecast one would more than likely work.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Old Wombat

Yes, Brian, I blame you! :P

I'm OK with the scratch-building of the fork. I've got some wheels from a 1/32 die-cast ATV. The tricky part is making a fork that's only 120cm (4') wide (& stable), full-size.
The pallets for this will be small, for the caboose, which is designed to carry small & soft loads (supplies for small isolated outposts, kit bags, mail, etc.), & the forklift.

My idea is that the main trailer(s) will have their pallets stacked above the wheels with access from the sides (with armoured panels that hydraulically hinge open downwards) & no side/rear doors. They may, also, have hinged floor plates in the middle, where more light stores can be stacked for manual removal after the pallets come out. However, I don't want these things getting too tall, either, as that will reduce stability of the vehicle & make it a larger target.

There is a very small possibility I may "Gerry Anderson" the forklift, so the wheels move out to provide a more stable base (if I can work out a practical RW solution).

Believe me when I say I am developing a healthy respect for designers of RW logistics systems! :blink: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Guy

Hobbes

Forklifts often have forks that are adjustable in width, so you can move them in for unloading the caboose and out for handling larger loads.

I think someone's already mentioned the truck-mounted forklift:
http://www.cargotec.com/en-global/PS/Truck-mounted-forklifts/hiab-moffett-building-brickandblock/hiab-moffett-m8-30-3/Pages/default.aspx

These can be had in offroad versions. Some versions have folding arms for the wheels.