Two Seat fighter bomber trainer conversion as attack aircraft

Started by tigercat, July 18, 2012, 12:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigercat

How feasible would it be to say take the Hawker Sea Fury  T20  or any other 2 seat fighter conversion

spin round the  rear seat  and adapt the rear canopy to accept a gun mounting.

PR19_Kit

Falling off a log I'd say.

Just be careful cutting the barrel slot in the back of the canopy, clear plastic tends to be very brittle.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

wagnersm

Quote from: tigercat on July 18, 2012, 12:08:31 PM
How feasible would it be to say take the Hawker Sea Fury  T20  or any other 2 seat fighter conversion

spin round the  rear seat  and adapt the rear canopy to accept a gun mounting.

Wouldn't a turret be a better choice?

At the speeds that the Sea Fury flew at, wouldn't a hand held gun be rather hard to control?

Just my two cents.

Steve

Dizzyfugu

Maybe add a twin tail, for a better field of fire? Another option could be a barbette arrangement, as in the Me 210/410?

I'd just be careful with the overall concept, since you lose a lot of ordnance load and internal space through the 2nd crewman and the rear gun or turret. I would not consider this solution to be very effective, the turret fighter did not take root. Unmanned barbettes could be another thing, though, maybe take a look at the A-26, with a remote-controlled twin-0.5" MG in both a ventral and dorsal barbette?

tigercat

I was thinking of it more as a field expedient conversion.

The Wooksta!

"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

pyro-manic

As a field conversion, plausible and do-able, but I would think the rear gun would be of limited usefulness on something like a Sea Fury to be honest.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

tigercat

good point i only used the Fury as an example as I have one in the stash.

what about a converted 2 seater Brewster Buffalo then.

The Wooksta!

Why not just execute your aircrews on the airfield?  Same result.  The Buffalo was a deathtrap.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

scooter

Quote from: tigercat on July 25, 2012, 01:17:40 PM
good point i only used the Fury as an example as I have one in the stash.

what about a converted 2 seater Brewster Buffalo then.

It'd be an even bigger dog than the single seater.  Even Brewster's Corsairs were junk.  And its not like they designed them, the just built them for the Navy under contract from Vought.  The Navy terminated their contract, and Brewster folded; probably the only arms manufacturer to do so during the War
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

royabulgaf

"I've done a two seat RAF Fury as a spotter over Malaya  - do I win £5?"

Yes you have!  Please send your bank name and account number, and our accountant, a former high-ranking employee in the Nigerian Finance Ministry will put the money in your account pronto. :wacko:
The Leng Plateau is lovely this time of year

The Wooksta!

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

tigercat

The Finn's  when handed lemons made lemonade

The Finnish Air Force produced 36 Buffalo aces. The top scorer was Capt. Hans H. Wind with 39 Buffalo air victories (out of 75); second was WO Eino Ilmari Juutilainen, with 34 (out of 94) and third highest score was Capt. Jorma Karhunen (25.5 out of 31.5). First Lt Lauri V. Nissinen also had victories on the type (22.5 out of 32.5).

Although obviously the exception to the rule

what other 2 seater fighter trainers  could there have been.

2 seater kittyhawk perhaps?

NARSES2

Quote from: tigercat on July 25, 2012, 10:35:51 PM
2 seater kittyhawk perhaps?

Didn't the Russians produce some 2 seat trainer conversions of the P-40 ? I know they had some 2 seat Hurricane conversions with a drum fed MG for the rear seater
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

When the radio was/is gone, you could also seat a secand man in a Mustang behind the pilot. Frequent practice in warbirds, and AFAIK some staff machines were used this way in WWII as fast "passenger planes". You could easily extend the canopy a bit and add a spotter?