JGSDF "Type 91", PKO use (Dougram Blizzardgunner vs. M1 Abrams)

Started by Dizzyfugu, July 20, 2012, 12:09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

The week comes to a close, and I'll put up another project in the SF section for a change: the Japanese "Type 91" walking battle tank, in this case used by UN peace keeping forces.

1:72 Patlabor 2 - JGSDF "Type 91", PKO use (Kitbashing of a [Fang of the Sun] Dougram Abitate F35C "Blizzard Gunner" & M1 Abrams MBT) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

This is an anime-based project. This is a kitbashing which I did/started in the early 90ies, in the wake of watching the (then brand new) Patlabor 2 movie! For those who don't know or remember: there is an opening sequence where a UN squad with mobile armor suits gets beaten up by a guerilla commando. These "Hannibal" powered armor suits is actually available as a kit from Kotobukiya (in 1:72, excellent piece!), but there's also a walking tank involved in the mess, and I found it very inspiring at that time, due to its realistic/serious design. Check this:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QlyjlMhKb3E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I just caught a glimpse of that tank when I saw the film at the movies during a festival in 1993 in Cologne, hence this kit - or better kit conversion. It is based on vague memories, but breathes the spirit of its cinematic paradigm, and it uses parts that were available at that time. If I were to build it again, it would probably look much different. But I love the nostalgia and the fact that I started this so many years ago - and maybe 15 years later I just got in the mood to work on it again, finishing the original idea and concept. ^^

Resurrected after 15 years! Dougram Abitate F35C &quot;Blizzard Gunner&quot; vs. M1 Abrams (Kitbashing) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

This is, or was, an Abitate F35C 'Blizzard Gunner' from the Dougram TV series, originally produced by Takara in 1984 or so and distributed here in Germany by Revell in the later 80ies under their infamous "Robotech Defenders" label, as a set together with an 8-wheeled tank.

The original kit was built with juvenile enthusiasm and much less skill. But, actually, the model itself is not that great. It is very clumsy and toylike, but functional and agile. Since its upper side was very blunt from the start and, through the course of time, incomplete (the gun was gone, the rocket launcher found its way onto the hand of a Dorvack PA which also has been waiting for finalization since 15+ years...), I decided to revive the Blizzard's chassis and build something that looked like the mecha tank that appears menacingly in Patlabor 2's initial war scenes (just from vague memory, I did not have reference material).

1:72 Patlabor 2 - JGSDF &quot;Type 91&quot;, PKO use (Kitbashing of a [Fang of the Sun] Dougram Abitate F35C &quot;Blizzard Gunner&quot; &amp; M1 Abrams MBT) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

That said, I transplanted a modern day (at that time) tank onto the chassis, an M1 Abrams from ESCI in 1:72. The original top of the Blizzardgunner was cut off, just wide enough to hold the M1's upper hull plate, including the turret ring. The parts actually went together surprisingly well, the M1's upper hull was only a little too narrow for the F35.
The M1's front was too long, though, so the glacis plate had to be built from scratch, just in front of the driver's hatch. The result is a bit steep (from a ballistic point of view), but after the implantation the resulting proportions were very good. The flat, broad turret also goes well with the lower hull, and reminds of the movie tank. Et voilĂ : the JGSDF 'Type 91' was born.

1:72 Patlabor 2 - JGSDF &quot;Type 91&quot;, PKO use (Kitbashing of a [Fang of the Sun] Dougram Abitate F35C &quot;Blizzard Gunner&quot; &amp; M1 Abrams MBT) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Actually, it has only slight resemblance to the movie tank: the paradigm has six legs with added wheels, the turret is smaller - I suppose it is a light reconnaissance tank.

1:72 Patlabor 2 - JGSDF &quot;Type 91&quot;, PKO use (Kitbashing of a [Fang of the Sun] Dougram Abitate F35C &quot;Blizzard Gunner&quot; &amp; M1 Abrams MBT) - on black by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

After major bodywork was done the kit rested in the basement for years, cathcing dust, and now finally faces finalisation. I did not change much more about the kit. The only newer additions are "skirts" made from tissue paper and white glue which hide the rather ugly original joint covers at the legs, and since it was supposed to be a PKO vehicle, I would not add much external equipment or additional weapons. I also had a diorama built for it in the meantime (pics and comments still to come) for display.

1:72 Patlabor 2 - JGSDF &quot;Type 91&quot;, PKO use (Kitbashing of a [Fang of the Sun] Dougram Abitate F35C &quot;Blizzard Gunner&quot; &amp; M1 Abrams MBT) - on black by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Consequently, painting was quickly done: since I wanted an all-white UN PKO tank as seen in the film, the kit received an overall flat white coat from the rattle can. I checked real UN vehicles for reference, and they generally seem to be all-white, with very few markings. Anyway, I wanted to add at least some contrats, so I added a blue band at the turret (painted with Humbrol 48, Mediterranean Blue - a glossy paint, but the tone is very close to UN markings' blue and the tank would receive a matte varnish coat, anyway).

The joint covers were painted dark gray, with dry-brushed olive drab and some lighter brown and grey tones to emphasize the textures. With the bright basic color, weathering, dirt and dust would add much character to the tank, so it received a thorough treatment with a black ink wash first and "splashes" in various shades of grey, ochre, sienna and umbra with water-based acryllic paint.
Next, the UN markings were applied, they come from an aftermarket decal sheet for HO scale military vehicles.

Finally, dry painting with flat white, very light grey and silver was done, as well as some rubbing with grinded soft pencil mine. The tank now looks more beaten than a "real life" UN vehicle (at least more than any I have seen during research), but who knows where this Type 91 has been used? After a matte varnish coat, a driver and commander figure were added, and work was done!

The base/diorama with the slope and the huge trees was also specifally built for this model - trying to show the Blizzardgunner's high agility. The basic idea had already been started years ago, but I just finished the base together with the tank model. The jungle background was just used for the beauty pics, but with its tall trees it just blends well with the diorama. Good illusion, methinks?

All in all I am very happy with the result - even though I will admit that my model has not much to do with the movie tank, which was/is, for instance, 6-legged and much more compact (LOL!).
But it is a personal interpretation, and it looks good! Esp. the white and blue PKO livery is something completely different to usual camouflage paintings, and a worthy tribute to a great mecha movie: Patlabor 2!

NARSES2

Terrific work my friend. All the photo's are great but the ones on a mirror against the black background are fantastic  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 20, 2012, 12:53:55 AM
Terrific work my friend. All the photo's are great but the ones on a mirror against the black background are fantastic  :bow:

Thanks a lot - taking pics and setting them in scene is a part of model kit building is something I "discovered" not too long ago, and I am just using primitive means and a pocket camera. But it adds much to a kit's "mood" and credibility, just like a background story.

The pics on black were actually taken on my ceramic kitchen hearth, with a simple black piece of cardboard as background and careful lighting. But the effect is great, esp. with the reflections on the dark glass surface.

Jacques Deguerre

That is just too cool! Even before I read your description, the model immediately reminded me of the vehicle from Patlabor 2.
Some clever and amusing quote goes here.

Dizzyfugu

Ah, many thanks - yup, it is funny to see how thing "stick" to the subconscious. My project was only built though memories, from the few and fast scenes in the movie (which I thoroughly recommend - it is slow-paced, but very "serious", rather a realistic, political thriller than childish robot-bashing which you might expect), and I think that this still works well - your recognition proves the "power" of the concept. Hope you like it!

pyro-manic

Patlabor and Patlabor 2 are both superb films, animated or not. :thumbsup: Great build, and I think it's better to do an original take on an idea rather than try to exactly replicate something. I myself had considered building the red tank-mech that goes on the rampage at the start of the first Patlabor movie, but it's very much on the back-burner at the moment.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

philp

Nice, was watching one of the base kits on ebay but it went too high (as usual).
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Dizzyfugu

It is nowadays VERY hard to find a Dougram kit (or the respective Revell re-boxing) at reasonable prices on the net. Esp. the Blizzardgunner is irrational, and so-called collectors from the USA call unsound prices.  :party:  IMHO, a Blizzardgunner "goes" nowadays at EUR 50,- and more, other designs like the four-legged Crabgunner and the six-legged Desertgunner start a tad cheaper.

Some good sources are Japanese model shops (ebay connection), though, specialized in (vintage) anime stuff, and there are collectors websites e .g. in/from Hong Kong which are O.K. - prices are not low, but fixed and almost every time you get a pristine kit. Got some old, original Dougram kits from there, no trouble at all.