SR-71 in RAF Service Query

Started by Cobra, July 21, 2012, 01:07:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobra

Hey Guys, i was Surfing Google,trying to Answer a Question:Did the RAF Ever consider Buying the SR-71 for it's Own Strat Recon Use? i ask because it's a Question that's Been Bugging me for A While! another Reason i ask is Because Maverick once did some Awesome Profiles of the Blackbird in RAF Livery and i wondered about that! Thanks for Looking. Dan

Hobbes

I don't know if they considered the SR-71, but the RAF had a requirement for a high-speed, high-altitude reconnaisance aircraft. The spec (OR.330) was drawn up in 1954, the Avro 730 was chosen for development until the project was cancelled in 1957.
The SR-71 was developed in the same timeframe, but public announcement of the program wasn't until 1964, so the RAF may not have known of its existence before then.

PR19_Kit

And I bet the US wouldn't have sold us one either.........
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

andrewj

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 21, 2012, 02:09:07 AM
And I bet the US wouldn't have sold us one either.........

How about a USAF SR 71 with RAF markings, in a similar fashion to that of the earlier RB-45's that carried RAF roundels. If circumstances dictated, then why not ?.

Andrew

PR19_Kit

That may have been more possible, yes. I can just see an SR-71 with those very RAF tall fin stripes.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TsrJoe

post deleted
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

RussC

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 21, 2012, 03:38:35 AM
That may have been more possible, yes. I can just see an SR-71 with those very RAF tall fin stripes.  ;D

Wouldn't mind seeing that either, or the squat fin flash covering the leading 50% of them. PRU blue with black leading edges and places of highest expansions.

When Iran was mentioned, how many here in the darkest recesses of our minds envisioned a Iranian blackbird in the hands of al-Quaeda going after skyscrapers?

Canadian Blackbird or YF-12 ?
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

TsrJoe

post deleted

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Gondor

Very nice Joe, pity its too small to make out much

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Cobra

Guys. Thanks for Responding,but i think it's Time to Pull the Plug before this Subject Breaks the Rule about Politics! Dan

kerick

Back to the original idea, If the US would have provided SR-71's to anyone, it would have been the UK. The UK had the need and the close relationship with the US.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

I think we are/were on the verge of discussing the Nature of Man (Humanity, if you prefer), rather than either politics or religion. ;)

Quote from: scooter on July 24, 2012, 07:28:17 PM
Quote from: Old Wombat on July 24, 2012, 06:13:38 PM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on July 24, 2012, 03:48:32 PM
Islam is not some monolithic group of wild-eyed fanatics with a single set of beliefs and single purpose.

That'd be like saying all Christians were the same, or Jews, or Buddhists, or Hindus.

Now, if we could only squish all religions, sects, cults, atheisms, agnosticisms & sub-groups into one, single all encompassing super-religion that everyone agreed to follow in exactly the same way, then maybe..... just maybe! .....we could enjoy a modicum of peace.

Of course, we'd have to do exactly the same for politics, football, cricket, baseball, basketball, golf, canasta ............. :blink: ............ Forget it! :rolleyes:

World peace would require everyone in the world to either be dead or mellowed out to the point of near catatonia.  Ain't gonna happen

Exactly my point & even then I'm pretty sure we'd be arguing about "Who is deader, thee or me?" & "Where do you draw the line between catatonia & comatose?" :banghead:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

thesolitarycyclist

I wonder if they were ever flown by RAF exchange pilots or bo
rowed for operations as the RAF allegedly borrowed U-2's.t

TsrJoe

post deleted

Mossie

Maybe the RAE could have leased one for high mach research?  Not likely I know for a number of reasons, but might make for an interesting model.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.