SR-71 in RAF Service Query

Started by Cobra, July 21, 2012, 01:07:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Maybe write the RAF into the development program from the start? Perhaps MI6 planned recce flights in "borrowed" Avro 730s, but when that was cancelled, they agreed a joint program, which subsequently got picked up by the RAF as well as the USAF.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Cobra

Thanks Guys ;) I now have an Idea I'm Gonna Post when i have all the details Sorted out! Dan

NARSES2

Quote from: TsrJoe on July 25, 2012, 12:15:30 AM
... AHEM, NO POLITICS OR RELIGION !

cheers, Joe

Exactly Joe, get it back on subject please gentlemen

Chris mit his moderators hat on  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

pyro-manic

A plausible markings scheme would be the mono roundels and fin flashes seen on the recently delivered first Lightning:

While I'm not a fan of the ever-more-lo-vis look of the roundels (I'd love to see a return to full-colour throughout), it would work well for a machine like the Blackbird, where heating would be an issue.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Hobbes

Hah. Apply the red/white/blue in horizontal streaks, as if the paint had started to melt and was flowing towards the tail...

Gondor

Maybe it could be a high temperature paint research aircraft  :blink:  ;D

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

royabulgaf

"While I'm not a fan of the ever-more-lo-vis look of the roundels (I'd love to see a return to full-colour throughout), it would work well for a machine like the Blackbird, where heating would be an issue."

I don't think the roundels would be a problem.  The USAF had red/white/blue national insignia on the Blackbirds.
The Leng Plateau is lovely this time of year

McColm

RAF crews did fly the French Mirage IV bomber and were offered the B-1As if the Tornado was cancelled. RAF pilots flew the F-117 and have trained on the
B-2.

TsrJoe

post deleted
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

TsrJoe

f... it, whats the point !  :banghead:

BY THE WAY, NICE THREAD DRIFT GUYS, WHILST ITS KINDV FUN SEEING THIS HAPPEN WITH TOPIC AFTER TOPIC, I REALLY DO WONDER SOMETIMES THE MOTIVATION OR INTENTION OF SOME POSTS ON HERE ?
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

RussC

Quote from: TsrJoe on July 27, 2012, 09:42:26 AM
f... it, whats the point !  :banghead:

BY THE WAY, NICE THREAD DRIFT GUYS, WHILST ITS KINDV FUN SEEING THIS HAPPEN WITH TOPIC AFTER TOPIC, I REALLY DO WONDER SOMETIMES THE MOTIVATION OR INTENTION OF SOME POSTS ON HERE ?

To be honest, I have no political or other controversy subject axe to grind (and there are forums more suited to that anyway).

But I did want to explore the idea and problem of what could happen if a nefarious person(s) got their hands on a Speedbird' like a 71' or a Backfire, Concorde, or whatever. A what-if design could certainly include Air Pirate machines. Not just terrorism but also high speed smuggling or other acts.

"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

jcf

Dunno Russ, seems like some cack-handed thread trimming, as the joking references to dessert based schemes were also removed.

royabulgaf

"references to dessert based schemes "

You mean the airplane would be camoflaged to look like a pie?
The Leng Plateau is lovely this time of year

rickshaw

What would it take to convert the Bristol 188 into a useful recce platform?   I'd think change the engines to something less thirsty and perhaps increase the fuselage length for greater tankage?   Put the cameras in the nose?    It'd be the perfect British answer to the SR-71.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.