SR-71 in RAF Service Query

Started by Cobra, July 21, 2012, 01:07:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Canada

I think the thread is gone (as it was on the old site ) but this was my take....Bluebird and the Pink Lady. This is the only pic I could find....

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Those two look EXCELLENT Cap'n!  :bow: :bow:

The pink one looks totally possible for some reason, perhaps it's a Gulf War 1 veteran?

As for a PR Bristol 188, it'd need some considerably more powerful engines as well as less thirsty ones. The Gyron Junior really didn't rate for the intended use, quite why they didn't use an Avon I'll never know. Apparently the Gyron Junior was designed specially for high Mach speeds, but an Olympus 593 would make more sense. Perhaps area ruling the fuselage might lower the drag and increase the fuel capacity as well?

It'd end up looking like a longer, thinner Bucc.........  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: Captain Canada on July 27, 2012, 07:50:47 PM
I think the thread is gone (as it was on the old site ) but this was my take....Bluebird and the Pink Lady. This is the only pic I could find....

Very nice but wasn't black chosen deliberately by Lockheed in order to better shed heat?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on July 27, 2012, 09:48:23 PM
Very nice but wasn't black chosen deliberately by Lockheed in order to better shed heat?

You're confusing this with the Real World Brian...........  ;D :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 28, 2012, 02:35:39 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on July 27, 2012, 09:48:23 PM

You're confusing this with the Real World Brian...........  ;D :lol:

I know, I keep forgetting.   :banghead:

I suppose they could repaint them after each sortie...

Speaking of heat and the SR-71, came across this interesting diagram:

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Steel Penguin

that diagram does make me think what would one look like if it was painted in the heat colouring paint they use for temp tests and then flown?
oohhhh pretty
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

RussC

Thanks for the temp diagram, interesting view. Most of it looked like pizza oven temps except leading edges and over the hot parts of the engines.

Recalling now those accounts of the pilots heating up their box lunch cuisine by holding them against the windows.
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

McColm

What airbases would they have flown from? Surely the locals would have had a noise ban :banghead:

PR19_Kit

Macrihhanish for a start.

JayBee probably did their clearances........  ;)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Mildenhall was used for real world Blackbird ops.  Otherwise somewhere very rural and near the coast, East Anglia, Lincolnshire, possibly East Yorkshire.  So that gives, Conningsby, Coltishall, Leconfield among others.

Overseas airbases might be very useful, Luqa in Malta and Akrotiri in Cyprus for North Africa, Middle East and the southern USSR.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

McColm

The U-2 was flown by RAF pilots in 1957. Departing the UK they handed over their RAF indentity passes and lost their rank, effectively leaving as Flt Lt 'X' and joining the CIA as Mr 'X'.