bomb bays in wings

Started by coolpop6307, July 23, 2012, 10:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coolpop6307

I was just wondering what if they put the bombays in the wings, could it work?

Thanks joshua
"I am a tangerine, and no one can see me"
"Your despicable!!"
"EHHHH Whats up doc?"

Supertom

It's been done before.  The PZL Los from WW2 had the bomb bays in the wings.  Of course you were severely limited in payload size.  I don't think it's very practical, but the engineers here might be able to give a more detailed answer.
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

Gondor

Between World War One and World War Two several bombers did exactly this and several of the bombers used in World War Two used bomb bays in the wings so it obviously did work. The fact that the size of the bombs you were able to carry would have an upper size limit was one of the reasons the practice was discontinued. Well known examples are the Halifax and Shorts Sterling.

Here is a link to a load out for a Short Sterling showing the bomb bays. http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/personal-gallery/bomb-bays-28426.html

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

coolpop6307

Quote from: Gondor on July 23, 2012, 10:50:46 AM
Between World War One and World War Two several bombers did exactly this and several of the bombers used in World War Two used bomb bays in the wings so it obviously did work. The fact that the size of the bombs you were able to carry would have an upper size limit was one of the reasons the practice was discontinued. Well known examples are the Halifax and Shorts Sterling.

Here is a link to a load out for a Short Sterling showing the bomb bays. http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/personal-gallery/bomb-bays-28426.html

Gondor

Cool thanks
"I am a tangerine, and no one can see me"
"Your despicable!!"
"EHHHH Whats up doc?"

Spey_Phantom

the Fairey Battle aslo had bombbays in the wings  :mellow:

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

pyro-manic

Also the Handley Page Heyford, which had it's bomb bay in the centre section of the lower wing.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Mossie

The YB-35 and YB-45 had bomb bays in the 'wings'.  I guess being flying wings they couldn't be anywhere else, although they were clearly off the centre line.  There were eight in total I think.  Many flying wing bomber designs have similar arrangements.  Early designs for the Avro Vulcan had the engines on the centre line, with a bomb bay either side.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

scooter

Quote from: Mossie on July 23, 2012, 04:24:37 PM
The YB-35 and YB-45 had bomb bays in the 'wings'.  I guess being flying wings they couldn't be anywhere else, although they were clearly off the centre line.  There were eight in total I think.  Many flying wing bomber designs have similar arrangements.  Early designs for the Avro Vulcan had the engines on the centre line, with a bomb bay either side.

As does the B-2, granted both bays are on either side the centerline between the mains.  And, in someways, its made a return with the 5th Generation "stealthy" aircraft, like Raptor, with both belly and lateral weapons bays.  But, again, it comes down to size of the payload.  An F-22 or Lightning can't carry big bombs in its ventral weapons bays and hanging tanks and ordinance out on the wings blows stealth capabilities, ergo limiting their capabilities as "multi-role" aircraft
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

wagnersm

Some fighters also had bomb bays in the winges.

XF4U had small bomb bays for 5lb bombs to drop on enemy bombers.

Dizzyfugu

A relatively modern aircraft which had wing bomb bays was/is the Il-102 prototype (the competitor to the Su-25). It had AFAIK six single bomb bays - this solution was chosen because the wings were relatively thick, and the drag reduction compared to external storage of six iron bombs was considerable. In the pic below you can see the bays under the left wing, with open hatches:

NARSES2

Interesting photo Dizzy' hadn't noticed those before
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quite apart from the bomb-bay in the wing issue, that photo reinforces my view that the Il-02 is/was a LEADING contender in the 'World's Ugliest Aeroplane' stakes. YEUK!  :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Yes, but it was pretty effective, even though a bit unorthodox.  :thumbsup:
I think it was also the last aircraft of this size (if at all) to feature a tail barbette?

darthspud

Didn't the HE-111 have wing bomb bays?

or wing root area
seem to recall bombs falling vertically from two bays either side of centreline whilst watching Battle of Britain a while back.
too old for a paper round, too young for me pensions, dammit, back to work then!

Dizzyfugu

No, just a normal belly bomb bay, but it contained two rows of (vertically loaded) bombs, so that your impression is correct, though.

BTW: I think the Il-2 also had wing bomb bays, at least the early models. No wonder it carried over until the Il-102?