Lame ducks as 'Hot Rods'. A refined version.

Started by McColm, July 24, 2012, 04:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

The 'Lame ducks' I'm refering to are the aircraft used as decoys or have had spare parts removed and cannot fly.
Most of them would have ended up on the fire dump or target range, but with their wings, engines and propellors removed they'd make your head turn if you saw one on a main road.
I've bought an Airfix 1/24 Spitfire from Heritage Avaition Models for a crisp £20 note. My build will include chrome exhaust pipes, chrome radiator taken from a 1/24 'Truck Improvement kit' plus anything else that will fit, turning the Spitfire into a 'Hot Rod'. The chasis, wheels, front and rear lights, wing mirrors, steering wheel, fuel tanks will be donated by a 1/24 Peterbilt 379, plus anything else to make look road legal.
I'm eager to try out a Chrome kit that I also bought from Heritage Aviation Models. I'll use the decals and paint scheme from the Peterbilt kit.

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Weaver

Sounds like a great project!  :thumbsup:

My Hardcorps Tornado was along similar lines:

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,29634.0.html

I also have a 1/72nd AD-5 Skyraider in the stash as a canopy donor for another project, so the tentative plan is to "pimp" the rest of it with a soft top and luxury interior from a German Staff car... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

McColm

Wow!!
I did have another idea to use a 'Tonka' minus the wings for a Landspeed vehicle on similar lines as the NF-104. Real World trials were carried out on a Jaguar fitted with chuncky tyres for landing on grass.

perttime

I recall seeing, somewhere, some three-wheel assault vehicle whifs built out of fighter fuselages. Something like a Bf 109 fuselage and engine, with two wheels in front and one in the back.

kerick

I remember seeing this vehicle. It was a great job. I wish I could remember where I saw it or who built it.
McColm, this just proves your idea is a good one. I'm sure your take on it will be different and interesting. The one I'm trying to remember was military looking and it sounds like you are going for a custom car look. Should be awesome!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

McColm

Thanks for the vote of confidence. The French came up with loads of designs during the 1930s, cars looking like aircraft. Some even had wings and propellers attached.

McColm

Still waiting delivery, at least this gives me a chance on finishing off some of my other projects.

Old Wombat

I can't find any pictures of them but there were a couple of builds of Bf-109's & Spitfires converted into post-apocalyptic racers by removing the wings & fitting wheels (2 wide apart at the front for steering, 2 close together at the back powered by the nose-mounted engine). They tended to retain some level of armament in these builds but it wasn't really necessary.

They looked awesome. :wub:

Maybe someone with better Google-fu can find pictures of them? :-\

:cheers:

Guy
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

CANSO

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 07, 2012, 12:00:47 AMI can't find any pictures of them but there were a couple of builds of Bf-109's & Spitfires converted into post-apocalyptic racers
This is the one I know and it's amazing!
I don't remember seeing any Spitfire-based racer from the same modeller though :rolleyes: - the guy builds mostly MaK's.

perttime

Quote from: CANSO on August 07, 2012, 09:58:30 PMThis is the one I know and it's amazing!
That is very much like the one I remembered. I'm sure I've seen others. Maybe a remote gun turret behind the driver?

kerick

Quote from: perttime on August 08, 2012, 08:49:30 AM
Quote from: CANSO on August 07, 2012, 09:58:30 PMThis is the one I know and it's amazing!
That is very much like the one I remembered. I'm sure I've seen others. Maybe a remote gun turret behind the driver?
Its the same one I was thinking of.  Good find!
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

Bryan's build is one of the ones I was thinking of. :thumbsup:

Plus there was one other & I'm reasonable sure someone did a Spit in reply to the 2 Me.109's. :-\
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Army of One

When I went to one of the theme parks in Florida in the early 90's I saw in an outside lot some of the prop vehicles for an American series.....these included a P40 land vehicle..there was a large chain around the prop shaft at the front going to some sort of drive underneath.....I've tried to find the series but no joy...I remember asking at the time and it seemed a popular series.....just can't remember the name of it....
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!