Hawker Typhoon/ Tempest as a carrier aircraft

Started by tigercat, July 25, 2012, 10:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigercat

How effective/ feasible  would the Hawker Typhoon/ Tempest have been as a  FAA aircraft.

Dizzyfugu

They would have made the Sea Fury from it...?

NARSES2

Quote from: tigercat on July 25, 2012, 10:47:58 PM
How effective/ feasible  would the Hawker Typhoon/ Tempest have been as a  FAA aircraft.

There were plans for a Typhoon with extended wings. Not sure if they were planing on giving it a torpedo but it would have made a heck of a strike fighter
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

dogsbody

"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

The Wooksta!

The original Typhoon was cumbersome at best, this would have been a nightmare.  And the Sabre was a very complex engine with close tolerances (you couldn't swap bits from one to repair another).  Wouldn't want to be fixing that on a pitching carrier.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

tigercat

What about the Tempest II with the Centaurus engine ?

The Wooksta!

Why bother?  When they had the Sea Fury being developed in the same time frame as Tempest II and was designed for carrier use from the start.  More duplication of effort.

Although I could see a folded Tempest wing being of more use on a Sea Fury developed more for a strike role because you could then use the centreline.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

tigercat

If the RAF hadn't have requested the Fury which later became the Sea Fury  then they'd have needed to look elsewhere so  voila the Tempest.

NARSES2

Thanks for the drawings Dogsbody. I've seen a very nice build of a Sea Typhoon at an East London show in the past
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

tigercat

dogsbody

"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

kitbasher

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 26, 2012, 07:17:17 AM
Thanks for the drawings Dogsbody. I've seen a very nice build of a Sea Typhoon at an East London show in the past

I've got the bits and a P1009 is on the 'to do' list.  Be careful with plans though - I've got three different sets and none of them agree with the published dimensions.  Some have the right span but not the fuselage length, others vice versa.  Making a composite is the best thing to do.
And yes, a torpedo was on the cards - the P1009 was offered up to the same specification that led to the Blackburn Firebrand.
Oh and I concur with Wooksta's appraisal - in fact even Sydney Camm wasn't convinced by the project at rather oddly let it wither on the vine while Hawker focused on Tempest and subsequently Sea Fury development.
;D ;D
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

It allways amazes me how often the plans of aircraft that were actually built differ depending on which ones you use, let alone those for unbuilt projects.  Still you can always answer the naysayers with a "well actually I used the newly discovered plans by A. K. Hakenbridge"  ;D