Boeing B-56 - the Stratojet that wasn't!!

Started by albeback, July 27, 2012, 04:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: albeback on July 29, 2012, 02:12:13 AM
Flight of The Old Slightly Smaller Dog?? Lol!"??

Flight of The Old Puppy............?  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 29, 2012, 03:50:06 PM

Flight of the Lap Dog ;)
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

albeback

Sorry for the delay folks. Finished!! - well, almost! Some of the paintwork needs a bit of tidying up and, I may have to replace the USAF title on the wing (evidence of silvering) and, one of the walkway decals is damaged but, to all intents & purposes, we're done.

I've loaded it with 4 x 2000lb GBU-8 HOBOS bombs. I'd intended to stuff the bomb bay with 24 x mk82 500lb bombs but, laziness got in the way! I intend to name it "JMN Bait" as soon as I can find suitable lettering! :smiley: The decals  ( including that splendid sharks mouth) are from an old Almark B-52 sheet. The bombs are courtesy of one of the Hasegawa sets. The 4 x J-57 engines were courtesy of the Italeri B-52G. As you can see, I've installed the outrigger wheels in what used to be the outboard engine pods. They're deep enough to accomodate the kit undercarriage bays. I didn't want to cut into the wing to install wheel bays like the B-52. The kit plastic is very hard and brittle. Not easy to work with - I snapped one of the wing halves with very little effort!! :banghead: The noses of the pods are a combination of milliput & 480 grade wet'n'dry! :smiley:. I figure that in this "reality" the rear sections of the pods could accomodate chaff/flare dispensers.  

For all the comments I've heard /read about this kit, all I can say is that it was a very easy build. Fit of the parts I used was very good - the only filler I used was around my ham fisted modifications. Model was entirely painted by brush ( you know - the little sticks with hairy bits on the end!! :smiley:) Colours used were Xtracrylix XA1102 - Vietnam Tan, Revell Aqua 08 Matt Schwarz, Revell Aqua 68 Dunkelgrun & Revell Aqua 36 Olivgrun. I have to say, I'm going right off Xtracrylix paints - largely due to poor opacity & covering qualities. I find the REVELL paints to be generally superior!  Anyway, hope you like her. As always, I welcome your comments and, am especially open to constructive criticism & any hints & tips. I'm always looking to improve.

Allan

IMG]http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g362/albeback52/008-8.jpg[/IMG]
Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!

nönöbär

Looking good!  :thumbsup:

I am working on something quite similar right now, the B-47 APB Prototype, but as I am using an old Revell kit or it, mine is by far more basic.
Daily updates from my engineer: https://twitter.com/Scratchbr1

--------------------
German Naval History               : www.german-navy.de
Bärenreisen                             : www.barenurlaub.de

Cobra

Superb Job :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Really like that you used a Shark's Mouth on it! Hope to see more Masterpieces like this from You :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Dan

NARSES2

Came out well, that head on shot is great  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

albeback

Quote from: Cobra on August 19, 2012, 01:01:14 AM
Superb Job :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Really like that you used a Shark's Mouth on it! Hope to see more Masterpieces like this from You :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Dan

Thanks for the kind comment Dan :thumbsup:.

I managed to get a couple of Hasegawa B-47s at a very reasonable price from a US model shop. I have another B-47  whif planned - if you look at one of my earlier pictures, I  have temporarily hung a CFM-56 engine under one of the wings. Should give you a clue! :smiley:. Add to that a V tail, a load of JDAMS in the bomb bay, LGBs under the wings, possibly a load of AIM 120 AMRAAMs for self defence.............................!!!!! :lol:

By any standards the B-47 was a beautiful machine & I think it's a real shame it has been so poorly served in model form. The relatively modest dimensions ( roughly comparable to a Victor B2) would make even a 1/48 kit feasible! One can but dream!! :rolleyes:

scooter

Quote from: albeback on August 19, 2012, 01:21:31 AMAdd to that a V tail, a load of JDAMS in the bomb bay, LGBs under the wings, possibly a load of AIM 120 AMRAAMs for self defence.............................!!!!! :lol:

By any standards the B-47 was a beautiful machine & I think it's a real shame it has been so poorly served in model form. The relatively modest dimensions ( roughly comparable to a Victor B2) would make even a 1/48 kit feasible! One can but dream!! :rolleyes:

You are going for Flight of the Lap Dog!  (Not a new Dale Brown Dreamland series novel any time soon)
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Martin H

Quote from: albeback on August 19, 2012, 12:53:11 AM
Model was entirely painted by brush ( you know - the little sticks with hairy bits on the end!! :smiley:)

I have to say, I'm going right off Xtracrylix paints - largely due to poor opacity & covering qualities.

Xtracrylix was ment for airbrushing any way. I always found that you needed at least two coats when brush painting to get a decent finish. Once I switched to airbrushing the problem of poor coverage went away.

Try Lifecolor, equally good by brush or airbrush in my view.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

albeback

Quote from: Martin H on August 19, 2012, 04:22:52 AM
Quote from: albeback on August 19, 2012, 12:53:11 AM
Model was entirely painted by brush ( you know - the little sticks with hairy bits on the end!! :smiley:)

I have to say, I'm going right off Xtracrylix paints - largely due to poor opacity & covering qualities.

Xtracrylix was ment for airbrushing any way. I always found that you needed at least two coats when brush painting to get a decent finish. Once I switched to airbrushing the problem of poor coverage went away.

Try Lifecolor, equally good by brush or airbrush in my view.

Thanks for the info Martin.  It actually took 3 coats of Tan before I got an acceptable coverage.

Rheged

Wasn't it the Buccaneer  that left  puddles (allegedly  hydraulic fluid)all over  the place?
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

albeback

Quote from: Rheged on August 19, 2012, 06:38:51 AM

Wasn't it the Buccaneer  that left  puddles (allegedly  hydraulic fluid)all over  the place?

:lol:
I think it might have been the Phantom. I remember told by an RAF engineering officer that it was a standing joke that if a Phantom wasn't leaking, it was empty!! :smiley:

kerick

I think every squadron had an F-4 nicknamed "Puddles". Same with the CH-53 series. You knew you were in trouble if it stopped leaking!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

RussC

"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski