Coast Guard chopper carrier

Started by kerick, July 28, 2012, 08:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

I decided to bring my new project over to its proper place from the idea bank. Its a development of the amphibious assault ship as a hospital ship thread. I'm going with the idea that the US Coast Guard uses a ship in the Caribbean and Atlantic for drug smuggling interdiction and hurricane relief.
I swore I would not start another project until I finished the Super Blackhawk. Well, its a small project. I had a 1200 scale Yorktown laying around so I started on that. Tiny but looking good so far.

This is the door to the well dock for landing craft to bring supplies ashore after the local docks have been destroyed by a disaster.

Stern half of the ship is hospital and supplt storage.

I closed in the Yorktowns bow and added deck edge aircraft elevators.

Now I will have to make tiny little choppers for the flight deck.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

SigfanUSAF

I like it! But you need to rebuild it......in 1/350th :thumbsup:

kerick

Well collecting enough helicopters on the deck would be a lot easier, that's for sure.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Great work on something so tiny  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Go4fun

I'll just throw this in there so you can see my idea of how it could be done.
This is the Coastal Guard Rescue/Hospital ship for my Fictious island nation of the Free Islands Republic on face(less) book.
I know it has some stuff to puzzle you but otherwise it has usable design features.
"Just which planet are you from again"?

kerick

Quote from: Go4fun on July 29, 2012, 01:00:54 PM
I'll just throw this in there so you can see my idea of how it could be done.
This is the Coastal Guard Rescue/Hospital ship for my Fictious island nation of the Free Islands Republic on face(less) book.
I know it has some stuff to puzzle you but otherwise it has usable design features.

Here's the thread I mentioned http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,35519.0.html
Nice discussion on the concept of a disaster relief/hospital/former amphib assault ship. Your design looks like it would fit right in!
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Does International Law apply in the Free Islands Republic?

I have an idea that hospital ships are not allowed to be armed under IL rules and that looks like a gun turrret forward of the main mast.

[Almost JMN mode off]
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

A true hospital ship cannot be armed but does that count in todays world?
I've added some deck cranes and am finishing closing up the bow. I want to make some shipping containers to place on the deck to store relief supplies. Does anyone make 1/1200 scale choppers?
Tophe the Wise

Old Wombat

Call it "anti-missile defences" because missiles can't/don't recognise red crosses? :-\
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

scooter

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 30, 2012, 09:28:46 PM
Call it "anti-missile defences" because missiles can't/don't recognise red crosses? :-\
:thumbsup:  Nor do certain...paramilitary (?) organizations.  And I think defensive weaponry may be allowed by IL, CIWS, Sea Sparrow, etc.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

seadude

In regards to weapons and hospital ships:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hospital_ship

QuoteInternational law

Hospital ships were covered under the Hague Convention X of 1907. Article four of the Hague Convention X outlined the restrictions for a hospital ship:

Ship must be clearly marked and lighted as a hospital ship
    The ship should give medical assistance to wounded personnel of all nationalities
    The ship must not be used for any military purpose
    The ship must not interfere with or hamper enemy combatant vessels
    Belligerents, as designated by the Hague Convention, can search any hospital ship to investigate violations of the above restrictions
    Belligerents will establish the location a hospital ship

According to the San Remo Manual on International Law Applicable to Armed Conflicts at Sea, a hospital ship violating legal restrictions must be duly warned and given a reasonable time limit to comply. If a hospital ship persists in violating restrictions, a belligerent is legally entitled to capture it or take other means to enforce compliance. A non-complying hospital ship may only be fired on under the following conditions:

Diversion or capture is not feasible
    No other method to exercise control is available
    The violations are grave enough to allow the ship to be classified as a military objective
    The damage and casualties will not be disproportionate to the military advantage.

QuoteLegal status

Modern hospital ships display large Red Crosses or Red Crescents to signify their Geneva convention protection under the laws of war. Even so, marked vessels have not been completely free from attack. During both WW I and WW II (see Lists of hospital ships sunk in either war), noncombatant markings did not stop the sinking of a number of hospital ships by either side. In one peculiar case, a British air attack in 1945 sank the German ship SS Deutschland with substantial loss of life. In the war's closing days, this ship may have been in the process of conversion to a hospital ship. If so, it apparently had not been sufficiently marked as a hospital ship, perhaps owing to the chaos surrounding the collapse of military and civilian authority in Nazi Germany.

Some hospital ships, such as the SS Hope, belong to civilian agencies, and as such are not part of any navy.

The British Royal Fleet Auxiliary ship RFA Argus would be a hospital ship were it not for its armaments. When performing its medical role it is designated a 'primary casualty receiving ship'.

Armed vessels are disqualified from protection as a hospital ship under international law.
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

kerick

Personally I was thinking about the wackos in the world who would attack such a ship either as terrorism or "by mistake". Laws of war don't mean much to some regimes these days. Any way, this project is somewhat more related to RFA Argus, being in the Coast Guard and patrolling for drug smugglers when not responding to an emergency.
Tophe the Wise

kerick

Trying to make a SH-60. Fuselage is 1/2 inch long with rotor diameter of the same. I don't think I will be appling decals. I'm thinking of rotor blades cut from a pop can as decal film will not be rigid enough. If I get really crazy I'll try a MV-22. Pray for me.
Tophe the Wise

Go4fun

In the Free Islands territorial waters we sometimes get rather large ice floes or small icebergs. The ammunition for the guns on the top deck are only thin cased explosives for this purpose and fletchete rounds for use when linked to the Computerized Defensive Weapons System. it has been sugested the gun(s) and CDWS because it is usally accompanied by either Naval or armed Coastal Guard ships but as the fleet is still in the inital build phase this will have to wait. 
"Just which planet are you from again"?