Coast Guard chopper carrier

Started by kerick, July 28, 2012, 08:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

Been working on the chopper and some life boats. Had to add a space to hang the life boats from. I'll also add lots of the inflatable Navy style life raft containers.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

kerick

Some pics from today. I painted the Jayhawk in USCG colors. I need to paint the nose black.

Here's the Jayhawk on deck.

Here's a shot of the deck edge elevator.

I'm still tempted to try a MV-22. Also working on some containers to stack on deck. Time will tell.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

kerick

The containers are made, 53' and 40'. Sprayed on some gloss white and some of the bondo filler seemed to soak up the paint, even after letting the first coat dry for 24 hours. Other spots of Bondo I coated with liquid glue first and they seem fine. I must have missed a couple spots. Always some touchup somewhere.
Tophe the Wise

kerick

Some pics with paint and details in place. The flight deck will be painted before the containers and the Jayhawk are permently attached. The life boats are the orange pieces on the side.

I added the Navy style inflateable rafts to the edges of the deck by glueing rod in place then cutting slots with a razor saw.

Slowly coming together. Some red decal stripes on the hull and landing spots for the helios next.
Tophe the Wise

kerick

Well, I don't have any Coast Guard decals in the stash so this will become a hospital/relief ship with a really big flight deck. Painted the deck and attached the boats and containers. With some red crosses and and deck markings she will be colorful. Plenty of red decal stripes that can be cut to make red crosses.
Tophe the Wise

sequoiaranger

I like the concept and execution.

Couldn't help but think that, in side-view, the ship looked a lot like a "Pine Island" seaplane carrier with its bow cut off and the stern becoming the "stem".

My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

kerick

I see what you mean. I just wanted the flight deck to be in the front of the ship. Seems like there would be less trouble with wind turbulance than with the flight deck behind the superstructure. It must not be a big problem in the real world as many ships have the flight decks at the stern.
Tophe the Wise

kerick

Finally got around to some decals. Coast Guard stripes on the bow with lots of little details. Pics will follow tomorrow.
Tophe the Wise

kerick

As promised

Nice little diversion completely made from stuff I already had laying around. Hope you like it.
Tophe the Wise

Captain Canada

I like it ! Very interesting ship. Looks great in those colours as well, always liked the USCG cutter style...

How many choppers are you going to have on it ?

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kerick

Just one Jayhawk so far. I have a crazy idea for an MV-22.
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Quote from: kerick on February 23, 2013, 09:46:20 AM
Just one Jayhawk so far. I have a crazy idea for an MV-22.

That's not a crazy idea my friend. Nice build  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kerick

Here's a couple shots with the Jayhawk in place. Not bad for something about 6 inches long. The ship, not the Jayhawk. That's 1/2 inch long.

Still needs a shot of dullcoat to knock the shine down a little. I painted it gloss white to help with the decals. The red and blue stripes on the hull came from an ooooooold decal sheet. What a pain! Decals kept breaking apart. I threw the whole sheet away, it was beyond my patience to deal with again. Lesson learned, decals do have a shelf life. I know you can spray them with gloss coat or spray varnish and I will save that for when I really need to use a certain sheet.

Tophe the Wise

Joe C-P

Great execution of an interesting concept.  :thumbsup:
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

kerick

Thanks.
Nice to have finished something!
Tophe the Wise