Latex gloves vs. Tamiya paint: 1-0

Started by Hobbes, July 31, 2012, 12:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

I recently found a painted part (the rear panel of a truck cabin) lying underneath some latex gloves. It had been there for a few months, and the gloves had become stuck to the paint  :-\
When I removed the gloves, the paint was tacky where it had touched the glove. The paint job was ruined, so I'll have to strip and paint the panel again. The paint was Tamiya TS (spray paint). It had cured completely (at least 6 months) before the part ended up underneath the gloves, so my conclusion is that latex reacts with Tamiya TS even after it has cured.

Jacques Deguerre

Actually, that's a likely reaction between latex or any "rubbery" material and any enamel paint. It's a pretty well known effect when painting soft vinyl models such as large scale figures or toys and dolls that use PVC or other rubbery parts.

I'm sure someone here can give a more correct or definitive explaination but the way it has been explained to me is that latex and vinyl need a plasticizer to keep them soft and pliable. Over time, these plasticizers leach out and can act as a solvent to paints or plastics that they come in contact with. Because of their chemical composition, oil-based enamel paints are much more susceptible to this than water based acrylics, which is why you can use acrylics to paint vinyl parts on models and toys.
Some clever and amusing quote goes here.

Dizzyfugu

Yup. It's the softener/plasticizer that reacts - and I'd say it came from the gloves. I had the case that, years ago, I used a modelling clay called Fimo (a colored stuff like play-do, which can be hardened in the oven) for nose weights in model kits. Bad idea... years later, the softener in the stuff had worked its way through the kits styrene, creating drooped noses, softened plastic, discolorations, etc. These reactions do not happen quickly, but prolonged exposure and contact between soft plastic materials and paint or styrene can create unpleasant results.  :-X

zenrat

I remember fimo.
My sisters used it to make dolls house crockery.

Brake fluid will accelerate the leaching process.  This is why styrene parts left soaking for too long to remove paint will become brittle.
Vinyl tyres contain so much plasticiser that they shrink by a surprising amount if left in brake fluid for long enough.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..