S-26 Maritime Patrol Bomber

Started by Dizzyfugu, August 08, 2012, 03:21:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

I post this even though it is a VERY old kit of mine, I guess it is the first kit I ever bought OOB in order to build a (fantasy) conversion from it. Must be 20 years old! And I still keep it on display - nostalgia!

1:72 S-26 Maritime Patrol Bomber (whif/kit conversion) - Nose detail by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

I had the idea to this project together with a friend, who's build the same basic kit (a B-26 Martin Marauder from Matchbox) with the same theme: a land-based, martime patrol bomber and submarine hunter like the P-2 Neptune or P-3 Orion. The idea was to get a vintage feel of an old airframe, but with some modern features.

1:72 S-26 Maritime Patrol Bomber (whif/kit conversion) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

To the B-26 base many details were added or changed, like...

● Twin fins from a Matchbox A-10 (they fit perfectly on the clipped horizontal stabilizers)

● The big belly radome is the nose from the transport version of Matchbox' Privateer kit

● The MAD tail was carved from wood, primed and then painted.

● Engines come from a Matchbox A-20 Havoc, the propellers are B-26, but with spinners.

● Weapon bay opened and with interios (I guess with parts from an Airfix B-26)

● Many additional antenna blisters and the like

● Scratch-built AGMs, actually modifies Phoenix AAMs from an Italeri F-14

● Modified landing gear; the twin front wheel, for instance, is the main landing wheel from a 1:144 scale DC-9 airliner from Revell...

● The in-flight refuelling probe is a modified ACMI pod.

● Air brakes/chaff dispensers are parts from a Revell F-16.

● Sonobuoys compartment behind the weapon bay, plus a camera station.

● Wing tip tanks come from an ESCI A-7

1:72 S-26 Maritime Patrol Bomber (whif/kit conversion) - Weapon station detail by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

As a modern contrast, the machine was painted in a low-viz paint scheme which was all the rage in the 90ies - inspired by US Navy planes, in FS 36375 below, FS 36320 for the sides and upper surfaces and FS 35237 for anti-glare areas. On purpose, tjhe aircraft did not receive any national insignia, even though an English "Navy" was applied.
As a colorful contrast, and inspired by the Academy Lockheed Ventura kit, a hand-painted squid (kind of?) was added around the gun turret on the back, plus the nose art title "The Kraken", partly obscured by gun soot.

Certainly not a masterpiece of whiffery, but a nice souvenir - and my friend's version turned out to look very different, including the 4-seat cockpit from an EA-6B Prowler and a mottled three-grey-tone cammo scheme.  ;D

PR19_Kit

Now that is INSPIRED Thomas!  ;D :thumbsup: :bow:

Looks great and it all goes together well.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sandiego89

Very nice, especially like what you did with the belly with the chutes, blisters and bulges.  Well done.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Dizzyfugu

Thank you all. Blast from the past... all the holes for the sonarbuoys were drilled by hand, with a manual/mechanical drill! Pre-electric age  ;D

jsport

kerick

I have some laying around the display cabinet older than that! Nostalgia as you say!
This whif looks like the real deal. Very believable.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Joe C-P

In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

James

McColm

Wow,
I really must practice my airbrush skills and I hope to get a finish like yours. :bow:

marco

Doc Yo

Indeed, very nicely done-the twin tail really seems to 'slim' the Marauder fuselage. Love the 'starfish' around
the turret, too.

Dizzyfugu

Thanks a lot to everyone. Actually, this was painted by hand (no air bruch or even rattle can involved), and the finish is certainly not the best when you take a close look - it's 20 years old, though. The slightly dirty/cloudy finish comes through a treatment with rubbed, finely grinded pencil mine.

McColm

I'm not familiar with an air bruch, should that read air brush?