The MiG-SPB (NATO code 'Flintstone') - secret Su-25 contender (WiP)

Started by Dizzyfugu, August 09, 2012, 12:25:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

I start this outside of the picture galery because I expect it to become a WiP.

The idea came up when I posted pics from my converted ESCI Ka-34 kit, and the idea of making an aircraft from the sleek helicopter made the round. Now, I am taking that seriously, and now there's a secret contender from MiG OKB for the 70ies shturmovik competition underways: the MiG-SPB (Samolet Polya Boya – 'armored combat aircraft').

Original idea was to mate the 1:72 Ka-34 fuselage with 1:100 A-10 wings and add some new horizontal stabilizers. But that would not work - and then I found an ancient Airfix A-1 Skyraider which I never finished (because the kit is SO ugly), and that goes well with what I have in mind.

Here's a general layout pic:

1:72 MiG-SPB (Whif/Kit-bashing) - WiP by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Engines will be kept in the high original position, but I will replace them with bigger parts from a Hobby Boss Me 262 (just reversed). The tail from the A-1 will also be implanted, the original fin would not fit in style and size anymore.

Stay tuned, the saw is singing...  ;D

TsrJoe

cool, if it turns out even half as good as you're Alpha Jet design this will look really nice methinks, looking forward to seing it progress  :thumbsup:

cheers, Joe
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Dizzyfugu

I'm enthusiastic, and thanks for the support. I have the vision, the parts, glue and putty (lots of it), even an idea how to paint this thing, and also a story in store... This could become a good one!  :thumbsup:

NARSES2

It will be interesting watching this come together
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Scooterman

Popcorn, beer and lawn chair at the ready!!!   :wub:

Dizzyfugu

No pics yet uploaded to post, but good news: kit makes good progress. Cockpit has been fitted into the fuselage (mostly taken OOB, but new seats and figures will be added - inside is PRU Blue!), lead has been placed in the nose and the fuselage halves have been glued together and even the new fin has been implanted successfully. The landing gear wells in the A-1 wings have been closed, too - currently, a putty and sanding orgy is going on (*cough*).

WiP pics might follow this evening.

Dizzyfugu

Here we go, something to look upon.  :lol:

The cockpit in PRU Blue. I checked pics of Su-25, and these are rather bluish-grey than teal. It still looks bright, though. Cockpit is so far empty and OOB, on top the closed rotor shaft adapter can be seen in the rough:

The implanted A-1 fin. Matches the slender Ka-34 fuselage pretty well, and I like the elegant curve which is created between the Ka-34 back and the A-1's rounded fin fillet. The high and slender fin looks strange, but: why not? Better than the original, jet-like fin! With sanded putty, this looks even better! "Inside" a blob of 2C putty adds stability.

The (ugly and yellowed) A-1 wings, from above an below. I hope that it won't look too shabby when they are fitted and painted...

The fuselage with lots of fresh putty on top of everything:

And finally: being a 'fictional character', the aircraft received (after having been detected in Afghanistan in 1982) the NATO code name 'Flintstone'  :party:

Dizzyfugu

Some more WiP pics: fuselage has been sanded, so that the lines are clearer now, wings and stabilizers fitted. The engine nacelles follow next.

Since the A-1 wings are thicker than expected, the engine nacelles have to be moved into a slightly higher position. Using bigger nacelles was definitively the right way to go, though. Consequently, the original adapters have to be sanded away (can already be seen on the lower side view). The whole thing looks odd, but not inplausible. I am really torn between calling it elegant or ugly...? It has some very sleek lines, but there's also that distinctive Russian utilaristic charme to it?

Stay tuned...  :tornado:

Geoff

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Dizzyfugu

Thank you. Work goes on well, but slowly, since the thing needs constant waiting for the putty to settle, sanding, check, put more putty to it, etc. Esp. with the engine nacelles fitted, this process is tedious, because it is hard to get under/behind them and/or between the wings...

Next pics might come tomorrow. With the engines in place the SPB looks more "massive" now, but still keeps its slender lines. It will receive the inofficial nickname "Lastocha" (=swallow), it simply suits the aircraft. I am curious to see it on its wheels now. It should be able to stand freely (thanks to lead in the nose), but I am not certain if it will look wacky with the high and massive engine block?

Dizzyfugu

Some more pics with the engine nacelles in place and basic putty on top.

In the front and rear view you can see that (unfortunately) the Airfix A-1 kit is correct in respect to the "twisted" fin which was to compensate propeller torque. Here, it looks a bit like a warped piece, I hope that it won't be obvious once paint has been applied...  :rolleyes:

In the meantime, detail work has begun. The SPB stand on its own landing gear (yes, even with nose down), and I will fit bigger wheels from an A-7 to it, the original helicopter wheels look a bit small for improvised runway duties.
Cockpit has been touched up with seats and pilots and closed, weapon hardpoints have been fitted to the wings (four under each). A single-barreled gun has been mounted, and the nose tip slightly modified in order to contain a laser rangefinder, similar to the Su-25.
Pitots, antennae and an AoA sensor are next.

Only thing I consider as a major modification is to cut away the "tail boom" under the rudder, because it is long and straight. It is a nice design feature, but dangerous for an aircraft that takes off...? Not certain yet if I change this to a sloped tail that ends right under the A-1 fin/rudder.  :unsure:

Anyway, work goes better than expected.

Mr Ten

very nice !
It reminds me the old days of satellite pics about "ram-D, ram-J, ram-K and others"... Unknown soviet projects seen in Ramenskoye at the end of the '70s... With serious color (and erroneous) profiles in sepcialized books... :lol: