Blue and yellow primer in P-40s!

Started by Hammer, August 13, 2012, 06:31:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hammer

God bless color photography!

http://www.retronaut.co/2012/08/building-p-40-aircraft-buffalo-1941/

I would never possibly imagine that beautiful metallic blue primer being used in a 1940s era fighter!
Regards,

Hammer
I look up, I dice, I mix, I chew, I blend, I spit it out!

PR19_Kit

Isn't that the anodised finish that some US firms used on their aircraft? I think I've seen that used on a Martin production line too.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Fascinating, thanks for sharing. Interesting to see the contrast between the interior green and the zinc chromate "yellow"
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

pyro-manic

You need to think about the way that early colour film worked too - it could, and did, change the colours quite a lot depending on conditions.
Lovely pics though. :thumbsup:
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Old Wombat

Love that look! :wub:

Hmmm!? Despite my hating 1/72nd scale (I find it too small to work in comfortably) I have a P-40-esque build I want to do in that scale &, although completely wrong, I really may do a similar colour scheme! ;D

:cheers:

Guy
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

jcf

The blue isn't a primer, nor is it 'metallic', it is a transparent lacquer-like product called Lionoil that
was used to protect the surface of the aluminum from damage during manufacture. It was to be washed off
with solvent prior to the application of primer and top coats.

Similar coatings are still used today along with green, and occasionally blue, plastic films.

As to color shift, not as much as one might these as these are Kodachrome transparencies, not
'prints'.