A Star Wars Whif: The "I.C.S. Ventura" (privatized Venator Class Star Destroyer)

Started by Dizzyfugu, August 14, 2012, 01:23:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

This is the result of a group build of the German SF modeling forum of www.phoxim.de. It is a long-term project which I joined in Oct. 2011 with a perspective to have the model kit ready in August 2012 for the next "Space Days" in Darmstadt, Germany, one of the major European SF genre conventions (<a href="http://www.spacedays.de" rel="nofollow">www.spacedays.de</a>). Actually, that's next weekend...  ;D

All GB participants will build a Venator class model kit (or a vague interpretation of it!), and the (mass of) results will be displayed at the convention. The basis for everyone was the Revell SnapFit kit - my project is a conversion of an ex-Republican Star Destroyer into a privately-owned leisure cruising ship, late Republican/late Clone Wars era or even a bit later, when the military Venator class ships were replaced by more modern Imperial ships (e .g. ISDs). This is plausible, since official sources claim that this actually happened in the SW timeline. Who knows, somewhere in the Outer Rim...?

I am not much into SW, so the kit is rather a fantasy product - I normally do not build spae ships, and the size of this thing was a challenge in itself for me!
I was inspired by Oceanliners and the luxury they offer. Many detail ideas were incorporated and much more things improvised, e. g. the light with an LED book shelf light element, visitor ships from a tabletop game, a tennis court (to 1:2256 scale!) under a clear cookie blister, etc.  ;D

WiP took several months, and I will just post (some) beauty pics of the finished thing.
More pics and a vast WiP (more than 100 pics with comments) can be found here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dizzyfugu/sets/72157627871172215/

Enjoy and discover:

1:2256 &quot;I.C.S. Ventura&quot; - phoxim.de's Star Wars Venator Group Build (Beauty pic) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:2256 &quot;I.C.S. Ventura&quot; - phoxim.de's Star Wars Venator Group Build (Beauty pic) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:2256 &quot;I.C.S. Ventura&quot; - phoxim.de's Star Wars Venator Group Build (WIP) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

1:2256 &quot;I.C.S. Ventura&quot; - phoxim.de's Star Wars Venator Group Build (WIP) by dizzyfugu, on Flickr

May the glue be with you!

And, finally, until Friday, August 19th, you might also take part in the project's voting for a winner (German only)  ;D:

http://www.phoxim.de/forum/index.php?topic=5171.0

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Rat

Way cool! The detail is fantastic, and the idea is great. I've got plans to do something similar with an aircraft carrier, but it won't be able to house as much as yours!  :thumbsup:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Old Wombat

That is great! :thumbsup:

Looks like a ship of some sort (a cruise liner, probably) was sacrificed to form part of the superstructure, too.

Very, very good build! :bow:

:cheers:

Guy
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

Yes... there's a Queen Mary 2 and pieces of a smaller cruising ship (an AIDA derivate) in 1:1200 incorporated in the thing, plus lots of little scratch pieces and profiles.  ;D

Many thanks!

Geoff

Sticky Fingers

Still waiting for the admin on that forum to genehmig my Benutzerkonto, hope he/she does it before the closing date of the poll. If it's not in time, you still have my vote, but only here :mellow:

I've checked all the other finished Destroyers, but your's is a winner :party:
Loving the little park, by the way!

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Dizzyfugu

Many thanks to you all. It was an unusual project for me, in many ways, but fun because I had a rather "free" mind concerning SW as background. Sometimes this seems to help a lot  ;D

I am looking forward to pics from the convention next weekend. I won't be there personallym but a very nice forum member from phoxim.de will take the kit there - and I hope that some more Venator projects get finished on last notice, so that from the initial 20+ project at least 10 get to the hardware stage and on-site?

Let's hop the best...

Gondor

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on August 15, 2012, 12:17:22 AM
Yes... there's a Queen Mary 2 and pieces of a smaller cruising ship (an AIDA derivate) in 1:1200 incorporated in the thing, plus lots of little scratch pieces and profiles.  ;D

Many thanks!

And there I was thinking QE II as I was looking at the pictures. One very neat build.  :bow: :bow:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Weaver

Wow - that's an excellent piece of work: hope you do well in the competition because you certainly deserve to! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Nice to see an upside-down ship hull used to such good effect too, because I've looked at them and scratched my chin for years, but never got around to actually doing anything..... :rolleyes:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

philp

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Weaver on August 15, 2012, 09:39:20 AM
Wow - that's an excellent piece of work: hope you do well in the competition because you certainly deserve to! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Nice to see an upside-down ship hull used to such good effect too, because I've looked at them and scratched my chin for years, but never got around to actually doing anything..... :rolleyes:

3rd place - it cannot compete in the finish sector with other submissions, but that's secondary. At least, I got that thing ready in time... the ship hull idea was spontaneaous. I had the idea of building a kind of Oceanliner, and initially I just wanted to use the QMII's deck buildings - but that was not "enough". Then, just playing with pieces, I put the hull on the Venator fuselage, and I had the vision of what the model would become...

BTW: it took a lonng time and many discussion to finally get rid of the "phallic" water displacer ;) Finally, it was replaced by a bridge from a 1:1200 battle ship (Bismarck, I guess)... just to avoid discussions ;)

Again, many thanks for the positive feedback!  :bow: