Runway Catapult

Started by coolpop6307, August 14, 2012, 01:26:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coolpop6307

I was just wondering if it would be possible to launch cargo and passenger jets in a very short distance using a catapult like on a aircraft carrier and also land like it. Any ides?

Thanks Joshua
"I am a tangerine, and no one can see me"
"Your despicable!!"
"EHHHH Whats up doc?"

pyro-manic

You'd need a) an enormously powerful catapult (a loaded airliner can weigh upwards of 100 tonnes) and b) a very, very strong (and therefore even heavier) aircraft. Ditto for landing - an airliner landing in a carrier-trap style would simply collapse, and if the plane was strong (and therefore heavy) enough to survive the landing, the arrestor gear would need cables like those on a suspension bridge!

Rocket-assisted takeoff is a bit easier on the airframe, but it's still not a gentle experience. And landing could be a bit unpleasant if it went wrong: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSFjhWw4DNo
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

kerick

The US Navy has land based catapult and arrester gear at it's Pax River test base. Of course it's built for typical Navy aircraft. There is portable land based arrester gear for fighter size aircraft in the Air Force.
Could you imagine the reaction of the passengers!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Weaver

The portable system is called RHAG and is mainly used for emergencies but can also support short landing ops. It's the reason why things like the F-15 and F-16 have arrestor hooks (which are not nearly strong enough for carrier ops).

IIRC, some of the RAF's bomber specs of the 1930s projected that the bombers would be launched with catapults and I also think (but I'm less certain) that it was looked at again for the V-bombers.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

scooter

Quote from: kerick on August 14, 2012, 02:40:38 PM
The US Navy has land based catapult and arrester gear at it's Pax River test base. Of course it's built for typical Navy aircraft. There is portable land based arrester gear for fighter size aircraft in the Air Force.
Could you imagine the reaction of the passengers!

There's also fixed arresting gear at AF bases for those that base fast jets.  And agreed on the reaction of the passengers
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

wuzak

Quote from: Weaver on August 14, 2012, 03:03:02 PM
IIRC, some of the RAF's bomber specs of the 1930s projected that the bombers would be launched with catapults and I also think (but I'm less certain) that it was looked at again for the V-bombers.

Certainly the P.13/36 bombers were required to have he catapult launch capability. The winning designs were the Avro Manchester and Handley Page Halfax.

NARSES2

Quote from: Weaver on August 14, 2012, 03:03:02 PM
It's the reason why things like the F-15 and F-16 have arrestor hooks (which are not nearly strong enough for carrier ops).

Quote from: scooter on August 14, 2012, 03:05:08 PM
There's also fixed arresting gear at AF bases for those that base fast jets.

Always wondered why they have hooks - now I know  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

perttime

Don't they call carrier landings "controlled crashes"?

Cliffy B

Quote from: perttime on August 15, 2012, 08:10:12 AM

No, that's any landing  :lol:
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

sandiego89

I think it is more correct to state that the hooks on fast jets (F-15, F-16 etc) are mostly for emergency use, and to prevent overruns due to high landing speeds, brake failure etc.  They are really not there for routine short field operations.  I can not recal them being used routinely by any land based type aircraft for short field ops. The A-4's used land based catapult and barrier gear at Chu Lai, Vietnam. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

perttime

Quote from: Cliffy B on August 15, 2012, 10:11:57 AM
Quote from: perttime on August 15, 2012, 08:10:12 AM

No, that's any landing  :lol:
Sure. I think "they" also say that any landing you walk away from is a good one.

Im not quite sure the self load.... er passengers would totally agree  :mellow:

Hobbes

You'd have to make big changes to cargo handling and the overhead luggage compartment. All that loose luggage will be a mess after being accelerated at 1+G at takeoff, then decelerated at 1+G during landing. Not to mention the passengers, they'd need 5-point harnesses and even then many wouldn't cope.

Weaver

Quote from: sandiego89 on August 15, 2012, 10:24:43 AM
I think it is more correct to state that the hooks on fast jets (F-15, F-16 etc) are mostly for emergency use, and to prevent overruns due to high landing speeds, brake failure etc.  They are really not there for routine short field operations.  I can not recal them being used routinely by any land based type aircraft for short field ops. The A-4's used land based catapult and barrier gear at Chu Lai, Vietnam. 

No, they can be used for "expeditionary" use, i.e. flying fast jets from an airfield that would normally be too small to handle them. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arresting_gear

Port Stanley airfield had RHAG gear installed after the Falklands War in order to operate Phantoms, and it was routinely used until RAF Mount Pleasant opened.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

You'd also need stronger seats & better harnesses for the passengers, & they'd have to pass a fitness test before boarding. ;D

:cheers:

Guy
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

coolpop6307

All right what about smaller buisness jets and passenger jets?
"I am a tangerine, and no one can see me"
"Your despicable!!"
"EHHHH Whats up doc?"