6 x 4 wheeled Range Rover powered by a RR Merlin engine

Started by McColm, August 21, 2012, 11:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

Hi,
I got the idea from the Jameson Special a six wheeled car powered by a Rolls Royce Merlin engine. This had no bodywork until it was sold to John Dodd who knocked up a fibre glass body styled on the Ford Capri with a Rolls Royce front grill known as 'The Beast'. Rolls Royce sued him and he went to prison, John changed the grill. A second 'Beast' was built and is now in Norway.
An Australian Rod Hadield put a Merlin engine in a 1955 Chevrolet Bel Air sports Coupe and two Germans have put a Merlin engine in a long wheel base Land Rover.
Over the years the Range Rover has been stretched by Wood & Pickett and Glenfrome. Even the BBC had a one off stretched version specially built.
Carmichael Commando produced two door and four door fire fighting air field rescue vehicles for the M.O.D., support vehicles for airfields and rescue for the Scottish Highlands.

Hobbes

It's slightly different. First came a 4-wheeled chassis that was built by Paul Jameson, then bought by John Dodd, who added the Capri-style body and grille and named it the Beast. This one had a Merlin minus its supercharger. A fire later destroyed the body, the chassis survived and got a new body that looks a bit like a Reliant Scimitar.   

The Beast

The Jameson Special was built later by Paul Jameson, it had 6 wheels and a supercharged Merlin.

Jameson Special info

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Hobbes on August 22, 2012, 04:37:33 AM
A fire later destroyed the body, the chassis survived and got a new body that looks a bit like a Reliant Scimitar.   

AFAIK that version still exists and John Dodd still drives it in Spain, where he lives.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

Thanks for that, I'm still having trouble putting pictures up on this site.

NARSES2

Quote from: McColm on August 23, 2012, 01:56:14 AM
Thanks for that, I'm still having trouble putting pictures up on this site.

What photo hosting site are you using ?

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sequoiaranger

That yellow stawag "Beast" with the Merlin under the long hood just SCREAMS for a whiffing!!

Who will rise to the challenge??  :unsure:

Since others had trouble posting a pic, here is one:

Ain't it a BEAUT??
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!