Korean War whiffery

Started by TheSybarite, August 24, 2012, 07:07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSybarite

I've already outlined my first What if? project here: http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=195180&page=1

But I'm thinking along lots of similar lines. One idea which rather appeals is a Korean War Luftwaffe Do-335 for ground attack. Also wondering how Me-262s would fare against MiG 15s... So much to think about!

Radish

P-47s in USAF units for ground attack....

Why not a re-constituted Luftwaffe serving in German markings (postwar)...:
Luftwaffe F4U-5, AU-1, F7F-3s,etc....

Luftwaffe Hortons??
USAF Hortons??

:wub:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

TheSybarite

Have just picked up the Dragon 1/72 Do-335A on eBay; wondering how it would look in natural metal finish...

scooter

Quote from: Radish on August 25, 2012, 03:45:38 AM
P-47s in USAF units for ground attack....

Would have worked a lot better than Mustangs in ground attack...
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

albeback

I rather suspect the  Me 262 would have come off second best in any encounter with a MiG 15. Good as it was (in 1944) it's Achilles heel was its engines. The MiG had every advantage in power, speed, rate of climb & acceleration. The Meteor F8 ( originating from another W W 2 design) was completely outclassed in combat with the MiGs and, sufferred as a result. 
Loves JMNs but could never eat a whole one!!

TheSybarite

Possibly the Fw Ta-183 would have evolved into a competitor for the MiG.

PACOPEPE

Do you imagine to Pepelyaev (Mig 15 ace in korean war) with a Sukhoi Su 9 K (soviet copy of Me 262)?. I´ll make this kit if there is a Korean war GB.

NARSES2

Quote from: Radish on August 25, 2012, 03:45:38 AM
USAF Hortons??

:wub:

Built a USN one armed with two of those large rockets (Tiny Tim's ??) in use as a bridge buster  ;D Was on here eon's ago.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Army of One

Oh.....I like the idea of a Korean War Whiff build....
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

The Rat

When C.D. Howe (may a pox be upon him) screwed over the Avro C-102 Jetliner, one of the reasons he gave was that he wanted Avro Canada to produce CF-100s for the Korean war. So I've long had an idea for a Clunk in the Korean conflict, but after fighting with a couple of the Hobbycraft examples my patience is wearing thin.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

TheSybarite

Sounds good. Of course, what if the USAF had chosen the Clunk over the Canberra...?

The Rat

Quote from: TheSybarite on August 26, 2012, 07:11:41 AM
Sounds good. Of course, what if the USAF had chosen the Clunk over the Canberra...?

Can't see why they would, totally different roles. The Canuck was an excellent all-weather fighter, often the only aircraft of its day that could fly when everything else was grounded. But it was no bomber. But then again, this is a different universe that we inhabit...  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

PR19_Kit

It always amazed me why Avro Canada entered the Clunk in the USAF's light bomber contest in the first place. It never stood a chance, unless it had been so radically modified that it would have become a different aircraft entirely.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 26, 2012, 08:40:36 AM
It always amazed me why Avro Canada entered the Clunk in the USAF's light bomber contest in the first place. It never stood a chance, unless it had been so radically modified that it would have become a different aircraft entirely.

Often thought about turning it into a shoulder-wing job, with craploads of ordnance hanging under them.

TheSybarite

Right, probably going to hang some rockets under the wings of the Do-335, have it out hunting T-34s. Torn now between natural metal, and a Kaiserliche Marine paint job off the SMS Peter Straßer.