Korean War whiffery

Started by TheSybarite, August 24, 2012, 07:07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickshaw

Quote from: The Rat on August 26, 2012, 09:18:05 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 26, 2012, 08:40:36 AM
It always amazed me why Avro Canada entered the Clunk in the USAF's light bomber contest in the first place. It never stood a chance, unless it had been so radically modified that it would have become a different aircraft entirely.

Often thought about turning it into a shoulder-wing job, with craploads of ordnance hanging under them.

Why not just lengthen the fuselage and put an internal bomb bay in it?  The landing gear is long enough anyway, so that you could hang plenty of stuff under it.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

The Rat

Quote from: rickshaw on August 26, 2012, 10:37:12 PMWhy not just lengthen the fuselage and put an internal bomb bay in it?  The landing is long enough anyway, so that you could hang plenty of stuff under it.

Because a shoulder wing would look way cool!  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

Quote from: rickshaw on August 26, 2012, 10:37:12 PM
 The landing gear is long enough anyway, so that you could hang plenty of stuff under it.

Very true. Why WAS it so tall anyway? Did the aircraft need to rotate to a huge AoA to take off?

The only one I've ever seen, an RCAF Mk IV that had a fuel problem and made an emergency landing at Chalgrove when it was trying to get into Benson, looked ENORMOUS to my 14 hr old eyes at the time. I could walk right underneath it without ducking!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

Quote from: The Rat on August 27, 2012, 04:08:04 AM
Quote from: rickshaw on August 26, 2012, 10:37:12 PMWhy not just lengthen the fuselage and put an internal bomb bay in it?  The landing is long enough anyway, so that you could hang plenty of stuff under it.

Because a shoulder wing would look way cool!  ;D
Lengthen the fuselage, build the internal bomb bay, mount the wing to the shoulder, get rid of the tip tanks and extend the wing a bit. Piece o' cake!
Seriously, the internal bomb bay always seems to end up filled with a fuel tank or other stuff with all the weapons on the wings anyway. See F-111, Buccaner, F-105, etc.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 26, 2012, 08:40:36 AM
It always amazed me why Avro Canada entered the Clunk in the USAF's light bomber contest in the first place. It never stood a chance, unless it had been so radically modified that it would have become a different aircraft entirely.
My understanding is that the competitors list was generated in 1950 by the USAF officers on the B-26
replacement commitee, based on all aircraft that were then available and potentially adaptable to the
intruder role. 

So, it was not so much a matter of AVRO Canada offering as it was the USAF requesting.

TheSybarite

Steering us gently back... The Luftwaffe would probably be fielding Ta-183s and (slightly outdated) Me-262s as fighters; Do-335s and maybe beefed-up Fw-190s for ground attack, as well as some jets, maybe?

philp

Still think this is more of a should have than a what if.

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

rickshaw

Interesting that we're all concentrating on one side in the Korean conflict.

How about some ideas for t'other side?   One that has always been interesting to me is the La15:

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Dizzyfugu

Yup - I have a La-15 kit stashed away in the basement but am not certain what to make of it. A simple NMF/Soviet prototype is a little boring? I considered a Luft '46 fantasy whif, but maybe a Chinese or North-Korean livery with a cammo scheme is another option? I also have some vintage Vietnam insignia (yellow stars) somewhere...

Mossie

Quote from: TheSybarite on August 28, 2012, 01:25:30 PM
Steering us gently back... The Luftwaffe would probably be fielding Ta-183s and (slightly outdated) Me-262s as fighters; Do-335s and maybe beefed-up Fw-190s for ground attack, as well as some jets, maybe?

Ta-154's?  How about Turboprop power for the Do.335, we had some discussion on it here:
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,30826.15.html
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Dizzyfugu

Mixed powerplant (with a jet in the tail) Do 335 is also a plausible development.

James

How about some Spitefuls? Focke wulf Flitzers? De Havilland DH 108s?

Radish

The USAF would have used the F-47 willingly, but they didn't have enough. Lots had been scrapped and lots sold abroad...France, Yugoslavia and many South American countries. F-51Ds were generally available from ANG units.

But I've plans for an F-47D in USAF markings of the Korean War  :thumbsup:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

scooter

Quote from: Radish on September 11, 2012, 10:21:07 AM
But I've plans for an F-47D in USAF markings of the Korean War  :thumbsup:
:thumbsup: :bow:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Alvis 3.14159

A B-36! Muh-wah-hahahahahaha! Imagine THAT dropping loads of 500 pounders into infantry formations!

A friend of mine wanted to do an NA Savage in a hangar, with a "shape" having just dropped out of the bombay, and techs running away as fast as possible. He had it good authority (you know, one of those "I was there but nobody can verify it" types) that the USN had nuclear assets in country, waiting for the word to come.

Alvis Pi