Korean War whiffery

Started by TheSybarite, August 24, 2012, 07:07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe C-P

Quote from: Alvis 3.14159 on September 11, 2012, 05:04:44 PM
A B-36! Muh-wah-hahahahahaha! Imagine THAT dropping loads of 500 pounders into infantry formations!

Alvis Pi

Ooo...  :wub: A formation of them, a Magnesium Overcast loaded up with iron bombs within and without like the later B-52s.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Geoff

At the local club last nightone of the guys suggested Wif the RAF regular forces were left in europe in case it allkicked off and the reservists and RAuxAF got sent to Korea instead? So he suggested you would have Spitfire F-22s, Beaufighters and Lancasters with the Brits. The SAAF would have sent their Spitfire IXs as they had trained on these before swapping to Mustangs.
The PRC wanted a license to produce the Spitfire IX, but didn't get one. What if they had - Chinese volunteers in PDRK Spits. So the UN forces would need the "invasion stripes" much more widley?
Just a thought.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Daryl J.

Subtle stuff:  T-tail MiG-15,  USMC Seafang in a reconnaissance role.

raafif

Chinese-built Mig-15 variant ....

you may as well all give up -- the truth is much stranger than fiction.

I'm not sick ... just a little unwell.

The Wooksta!

The Chinese apparently got Spitfire IXs from the Russians, the last deliveries to the latter were in June/July 1945.

I've a Spit IXe in Chinese markimgs and a IXc in North Korean, although the latter could do with re-doing as the decals went a bit micey.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Geoff

Quote from: The Wooksta! on September 16, 2012, 06:57:23 PM
The Chinese apparently got Spitfire IXs from the Russians, the last deliveries to the latter were in June/July 1945.

I've a Spit IXe in Chinese markimgs and a IXc in North Korean, although the latter could do with re-doing as the decals went a bit micey.

The Russians had the Spit IXs in service until the late 40's - early 50's IIRC with the IA PVO, so the timeline works and is nearly a what was.

Geoff

Quote from: Geoff on September 14, 2012, 11:44:29 AM
At the local club last nightone of the guys suggested Wif the RAF regular forces were left in europe in case it allkicked off and the reservists and RAuxAF got sent to Korea instead? So he suggested you would have Spitfire F-22s, Beaufighters and Lancasters with the Brits. The SAAF would have sent their Spitfire IXs as they had trained on these before swapping to Mustangs.
The PRC wanted a license to produce the Spitfire IX, but didn't get one. What if they had - Chinese volunteers in PDRK Spits. So the UN forces would need the "invasion stripes" much more widley?
Just a thought.

I was wondering if they would use the SEAC type roundels to avoid confusion with Communist forces??

scooter

Quote from: Geoff on September 30, 2012, 04:13:32 AM
Quote from: Geoff on September 14, 2012, 11:44:29 AM
Just a thought.

I was wondering if they would use the SEAC type roundels to avoid confusion with Communist forces??

Probably both.  Until the Communist forces wise up and add invasion stripes to their Spits
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

The Wooksta!

The RAF had ID stripes on Spits operating in Malaya and Hong Kong, although they never saw action.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Geoff

Ah right cheers Lee, I'll have to see if I can find a pic/artwork of that.

I was also wondering about the Turks sending their Spits, would we get a sort od Brazillian marking with the red Turkish square with white surround in a blue circle with bars?

Radish

The Airfix Spit 24 in 1/48th had the stripes...80 Sqn I think.

I once did a 3-view of a Scottish Union AF Spit 22 in a What If? mag.

The South Korean tried to buy a large number of ex-USAF F-38Ls in 1950 (stored in Japan) but the US said "there was no threat" and scrapped them....South Korean Lightning??
Also, the NKs were alleged (US Intelligence was very "creative") to have in service via the USSR and China....F-39s, F-63s, F-51Ds, La-7s)
In 1/48th I built an NK F-51D to go with my other Korean War Mustangs, also a Commie Chinese one too. Still got them.

What If? the UN  HADN'T stopped at the Chinese border and steam-rollered right into China, with massive allied forces including France, Germany, etc.. The Soviets "warned off" by a nuclear strike against Minsk and/or Kiev and against a massive Chinese "bottleneck" with a million Chinese Army dead....eh??

If we're gonna make it up,make it BIG!! :tank:
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

NARSES2

Quote from: Geoff on October 01, 2012, 12:26:00 PM
Ah right cheers Lee, I'll have to see if I can find a pic/artwork of that.

Geoff the current Airfix Seafire 47 has the artwork

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AX06103

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Quote from: Radish on October 01, 2012, 12:49:34 PM

What If? the UN  HADN'T stopped at the Chinese border and steam-rollered right into China, with massive allied forces including France, Germany, etc.. The Soviets "warned off" by a nuclear strike against Minsk and/or Kiev and against a massive Chinese "bottleneck" with a million Chinese Army dead....eh??

Ah the spirit of MacArthur lives  :rolleyes: :wacko: ;D

scooter

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 02, 2012, 01:10:10 AM
Quote from: Radish on October 01, 2012, 12:49:34 PM

Ah the spirit of MacArthur lives  :rolleyes: :wacko: ;D

And LeMay! :rolleyes: :wacko: :banghead:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng