Sea Victor- Finished!

Started by sandiego89, August 25, 2012, 02:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Now why am I suprised by the size of the beaching trolley ? This project gets better and better
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sequoiaranger

>Was in California all week, so little progress.<

Same could be said for Gov. Jerry Brown!  :-\

Could be ignorance or just faulty memory, but I don't remember the 1930's 4-engined Boeing Clippers (and other huge flying boats) having "beaching trolleys"--seems to me they were too big and heavy to drag out onto land (wouldn't you need a "tank transporter" kind of thing with a bazillion wheels?). However, I would think they would need some sort of ability to repair the bottoms---a "dry dock" kind of thing?? Just musing out loud--I really DON'T know!

But please don't tell me you are going to paint it pink, with "lipstick" and a moustache where a shark-mouth might go, and call it "Victor/Victoria"  :wacko:
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

The Rat

Quote from: sequoiaranger on September 09, 2012, 08:29:22 AM
Could be ignorance or just faulty memory, but I don't remember the 1930's 4-engined Boeing Clippers (and other huge flying boats) having "beaching trolleys"--seems to me they were too big and heavy to drag out onto land

Wouldn't have been difficult to construct, Short Sunderlands had beaching gear that was fitted to the sides.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sequoiaranger on September 09, 2012, 08:29:22 AM
Could be ignorance or just faulty memory, but I don't remember the 1930's 4-engined Boeing Clippers (and other huge flying boats) having "beaching trolleys"--seems to me they were too big and heavy to drag out onto land (wouldn't you need a "tank transporter" kind of thing with a bazillion wheels?).

The 314 used a remarkably small beaching trolley, considering its size :-

But it seems to me that the Empire Boat/Sunderland system with the two long wheeled struts at the front and a removable cradle at the stern would have been a lot easier to handle. They used a similar, but MUCH larger strut-cradle system for the Saro Princess and that made a 314 look like a toy.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Beaching cradle mostly complete.   Similar to what was used for the P6M SeaMaster. Scratch styrene.  "Aluminium" flotation cells imbedded into the frame. Has rollers to center the aircraft and support it. Outboard engines on each side and and operator cabin on the starboard side.  The engines were used to maneuver the empty cradle. 

The SeaVictor would use it's own engine power when mated to the cradle to taxi up/down the ramp.   

SeaVictor on the cradle. 

Paint bottles for size reference.

Here you can see the rough auxilary engine intakes.  Spray diverters and strakes not yet installed.
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

TallEng

The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

Captain Canada

Very cool. Love that trolley, great idea !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Hell's bells, it didn't take you long to make that trolley! At it looks great too, excellent work. :bow: :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

bearmatt

The carpet monster took it!

Dizzyfugu

Awesome  :bow: - and the whole thing looks frighteningly "natural"!  :thumbsup:

Gondor

Love that trolley, looks very realistic as well  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

lenny100

thats a work of art in its own right
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

deathjester

As so often seen on this site, something that could be classed as a 'Should have been', rather than a 'What If'!!

Wonderful work there sir :bow:

lancer

If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

sandiego89

SeaVictor complete.  

SeaVictor Mk1, No. 95 Squadron, RAF Pembroke Dock, 1961.  

The SeaVictor was the seaplane adoption of the Victor strategic bomber.  Much in line with the U.S. Navy concept behind the seaplane striking force, it was thought that in a nuclear conflict with the Warsaw Pact, RAF bases would be especially vulnerable to attack.  Seaplanes offered multiple basing and dispersal options, and routinely operated from sheltered waters around the globe.

The Mk1 SeaVictor first flew in 1955, and was primarily armed with nuclear free fall weapons, but also undertook conventional bombing, mining, and recon roles.  Rumors of SeaVictors operating out of Norwegian fjords and penetrating Northern Soviet borders remain unverified.  

The Kit: Lindburg 1/96 Victor- (box says 1/96, instructions sheet marked 2009 say 1/100), but regardless the very old Lindburg mold (1950's?).  A very basic kit, but good quality plastic. Boat hull scratch from styrene sheet.  

Beaching cradle is made from scratch. Styrene sheet, rod and tube.  Wheels are from the Victor kit.  Water is paintable clear caulk, sculpted when tacky, the sprayed with blue spray paint.  White foam hand painted.

Starting a take off run near Pembroke Dock. You can just make out the sliding spray diverters that slid up from the lower wing to cover part of the intakes.   

On the cradle

to show the hull
Underside,  The bomb bay is just forward of the step, with a bomb bay door that slid aft. The bomb bay was sealed by inflatable air bladders to keep water out. Weapons could be loaded from underneath when the aircraft was ashore in the cradle, or from above through the top mounted loading hatch.
http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa360/sandiego89/sv24.jpg[/img]

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA