Sea Victor- Finished!

Started by sandiego89, August 25, 2012, 02:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandiego89

Not to be outdone by the U.S. Navy Seaplane Striking Force, in the early 1950's the UK set out to develop a family of jet powered seaplanes that could operate away from large bases.  

Coming up the HP "Sea Victor"....

I have wanted to do one of these for years, and have a 1/72 Victor in the stash for this very purpose, but never got the guts, but when I saw the old Lindberg 1/92 kit on the bargain table ($9 US), I could not resist. Wish me luck- it is a rather old kit.  

SeaMaster for inspiration (which is a different oddball scale)

Scratch built top loading weapons bay hatch.  

Hull together.  The bottom planing hull will be the hard part.  

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

PR19_Kit

What a fascinating idea!  :thumbsup:

The Victor and the Seamaster have some configuration factors in common, and worse, both suffered crashes because of failures in the T-tail assembly. I'll be very interested to see how you do the hull undersides.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

martinbayer

Stéphane aka Stargazer2006 did an illustration for one: http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,26120.msg469706.html#msg469706

Should be a great looking model!

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

Cliffy B

Popcorn and beer are at the ready, please continue!  :mellow:

Do I spy a parasite fighter in that last photo?!
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

sandiego89

Quote from: Cliffy B on August 25, 2012, 05:59:28 PM

Ha! no parasite, that is just the central forward part of the horizontal elevator. 
Dave "Sandiego89"

Cliffy B

Quote from: sandiego89 on August 25, 2012, 08:00:51 PM
Quote from: Cliffy B on August 25, 2012, 05:59:28 PM

Ha! no parasite, that is just the central forward part of the horizontal elevator. 

Awww, it would make a perfect one though!  :wacko:
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

McColm

Couldn't get the Revell 1/72 Victor to align when I tried to build it, so I went for the Ekranoplan version. Got a Sea Master or did have used the tail plane on the Ekranoplan build and the engines on the 1/144 Sea Shadow hovercraft.
Great build, great work :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 25, 2012, 03:25:56 PM
What a fascinating idea!  :thumbsup:

Indeed it is, as is that Lindburg box, never seen it before
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sandiego89

Thanks for the interest. Contemplated balsa for the hull shape, but decided to go with styrene frames and thinner styrene for the planking.  Bottom of the hull coming together.  I made the main keel shape by inserting a styrene strip into the bottom gap between the hull halves to give it more stability.  Then crafted frames/bulkheads. Some complex curves.  Much cutting and putty work.  

Bulkhead making.  These are still sqaured off.  I then flared the outside of them to give them some shape, then cut slots into the hull to place the bulkheads. Finally cut the bulkheads in half veritically to fit to the main keel.  

Framing in

Side view. Can see some curves on the hull. Need thin styrene to make the curves. 

Covered in putty.  Few more panels to fit.  Some shaping will be required to round off.
Dave "Sandiego89"

rickshaw

I imagine there is some means of moving the weapons loaded through the top hatch forward to the bombbay?  Otherwise the CoG will be rather to the rear.   I like the work you've done on the hull.  Starting to look the part.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

PR19_Kit

The P6M Seamaster had the same arrangement with a weapon loading hatch aft of the wing, and I think they had a conveyor thingie to shift the load forward to its racks on the inside of the rotary bomb door. When I manage to find my Seamaster book I'll dig deeper.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Exactly like Kit said- this is just like the P6M Sea Master. The loading hatch is aft of the main spar and there is is a dolly to move stores forward to the weapons bay which is amidships- so no CoG worries.

Here is a diagram of the loading bay on the P6M.  Hatch is aft (to the right), then a trolley takes the weapons forward to the rotating weapons bay.

Source Martin P6M Sea Master, Stan Piet/Al Raithel, Martineer Press, 2001, page 139.  A most excellent book!
Dave "Sandiego89"

kerick

Quote from: martinbayer on August 25, 2012, 04:22:26 PM
Stéphane aka Stargazer2006 did an illustration for one: http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,26120.msg469706.html#msg469706

Should be a great looking model!

Martin
Those pics look like they are right out of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea!
Your close up of the nose of the Victor look very Buck Rogers. Looks like I need to find a Victor kit myself.
I'll keep my eye on this one, this is going to be good!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Dizzyfugu

This is a great idea: one of thise things which are sick but show some kind of vision!

Great, looking forward to progress and what becomes of if (esp. concerning wings and air intakes).

:thumbsup: