British Super Recon Phantom

Started by sandiegobrit, August 26, 2012, 10:01:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

sandiegobrit

well i started building

here is the nasty,nasty old cockpit, the clear instrument panels are interesting way of doing things but it is a pity there is no front decal to give a better 3d effect as the instruments are printed on the sticky side of the decal and put on the back of the clear panel
i used pledge future to make the panels as clear as i could and used it to repair the slightly scratched canopy's (this is a circa 1979 kit)

May i say no i am not proud of it, firstly this is my first plastic kit in 20 years and secondly i cant afford a nice resin cockpit ( it seams like overkill for a 10 buck kit anyway!!)

should i start a new thread in the current projects section?

steve

NARSES2

Now't wrong with that cockpit Steve. When I got back into the hobby I wasted a small fortune on all the fancy resin do-dabs. I assumed they were "essential"...what a load of cobblers that was  :banghead:

As for a new thread ? I'll move it to the current projects section if you like. Let me know

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sandiegobrit

thanks for the advice on resin and photo etch parts

yup lets move this thread over to current and finished projects

steve

sandiegobrit

well the lower wing is joined and the missile troughs are filled and sanded
started making the conformal water tanks from filler

PR19_Kit

Your project has fired me into thinking about doing an F-4X from my part-built F-4E(S) that I posted a piccie of earlier. A pair of resin tanks from the IDF F-16I Sufas almost fit, but may need a lengthening a tad as well as some Dremel-ing to make the inner surfaces fit properly.

But those MONSTER intakes will take some thinking about!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

sandiegobrit

well the filling begins

i decided to build a camera nose based on the F4/E  alternate nose in the kit and tons of filler.

sandiegobrit

well after tons of sanding this is the state of the phantom now

anyone know how to mix that light blue/grey that the late model RAF phantoms were painted in using tamiya paints?

tc2324

74 `Tiger` Sqn Association Webmaster

Tiger, Tiger!

sandiegobrit

well the temps here are over 100 degrees during the day so its just too hot to paint at the moment. So it's back to working on the back story for this and other models!!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sandiegobrit on September 05, 2012, 06:53:58 PM
anyone know how to mix that light blue/grey that the late model RAF phantoms were painted in using tamiya paints?

Dunno if  it's of any use but the original name of that grey was 'Barley Grey', named after the guy at RAE who invented it. Later on officialdom changed to a totally un-rememberable title like 'Grey Aircraft Medium' or similar.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Barley Grey is listed on the IPMS Stockholm web site under the Humbrol list as Humbrol 167; Xtracolour X17; Gunze Sangyo H334

This all gets confusing when you look at the Tamiya list there which states that Tamiya XF19 Sky Grey matched Hu 167 and includes a couple of Federal Standard references which look similar but are different to each other.

I find paint matching at times to be extremely difficult and can simply say that it's probably best for you to pick a colour that you yourself feel is the nearest match and go with it.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

Quote from: Gondor on September 15, 2012, 09:33:47 AM
I find paint matching at times to be extremely difficult and can simply say that it's probably best for you to pick a colour that you yourself feel is the nearest match and go with it.

Gondor

Absolutely  :thumbsup:

sandiegobrit

thanks again Guys.  Yes i guess the best thing is to find a color that fits in my eyes and use it its all very much a personal decision anyway without an original paint sample and a calibrated colorimeter.

Steve