Tu-154M as F-5 ejection seat test bed (Iran)

Started by Dizzyfugu, August 29, 2012, 02:54:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerick

" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Must admit on a Air Malaysia flight to Singapore I saw the flight attendents go upstairs at the tail for a sleep. So they had bunks up there somewhere ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Hobbes

Probably in the fuselage above the passenger area.

bearmatt

Ok....now seriously, this has been photoshoped, hasn't it?
I agree absolutely this topic has been posted in the right section! "The Idea Bank"  :lol:
The carpet monster took it!

bearmatt

Now I got it....
That's for a new movie

Hot Shots 3 - "Tigerblood"  :wacko: :lol: ;) ;) ;)
The carpet monster took it!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: bearmatt on September 04, 2012, 03:59:00 AM
Ok....now seriously, this has been photoshoped, hasn't it?
I agree absolutely this topic has been posted in the right section! "The Idea Bank"  :lol:

Apparently not, I've seen it reported in more than one place. And you have to admit it's JUST the sort of thing the Iranians would do!  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

pyro-manic

Quote from: rickshaw on September 03, 2012, 04:56:12 PM
Serious.  They used live bears which had been drugged to test the ejection seats.   Must have made recovery interesting if the bears were waking up by the time you reached them.   :o

But surely a bear weighs a hell of a lot more than your average pilot?
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Mossie

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 02, 2012, 04:24:38 AM
Quote from: kerick on September 01, 2012, 08:16:55 PM
Whether its a test pilot or a crash dummy, how do you get it up there? Seems like a waste of time.

Presumably the same ladder that they use for maintenance on the tailplane?

Having the test cockpit up there makes some sort of sense as it's in free stream air-flow with no vortices to spoil the simulation of what it would be when it's a 'real aircraft'. Having said that it must have been a real bitch re-stressing and modifiying the fin to take the extra loads.

One of the biggest problems with an ejection seat test bed is find an aircraft that has suitable intakes.  Most modern aircraft have there intakes in position where fireing an ejection seat results in hot gas and debris being ingested, not a problem if Elvis is leaving the building but if a pilots still in there things have the potential to get hairy.  This is why Martin Baker still operate their very elderly Meteors, they have trouble finding anything newer, I think Mig-21's are still used in the east somewhere.  Putting it high up on the tail eliminates that problem at least!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

James

How to wreck a cracking looking plane like the Tu-154! :angry:

But flipping crazy!  :blink:

Gondor

Quote from: pyro-manic on September 04, 2012, 06:41:40 AM
But surely a bear weighs a hell of a lot more than your average pilot?

If I were a pilot I would insist on a flight suit, get a bit nippy otherwise..... oh wrong bare

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

philp

Close up for those of you interested in a conversion.

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

kerick

Does make some of the Gerry Anderson stuff look more believable!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Go4fun

Who was driving the fighter that got rear-ended? Traffic is getting rediculious around airports anymore! ;D
"Just which planet are you from again"?