Tu-154M as F-5 ejection seat test bed (Iran)

Started by Dizzyfugu, August 29, 2012, 02:54:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

This is SO weird, I had to post it!

Linked from airliners.net

Found it thorugh a recent post at flightglobal.com.

"Just when we thought that Iran couldn't do anything else crazy linked to its aged fleet of Northrop F-5 fighters (following its foray into developing the V-tailed "Saegeh" version), a newly published image has raised many eyebrows here on Flightglobal.

Hosted on the Airliners.net site, the picture shows a modified Tupolev Tu-154M, formerly flown by Iran Air Tours, with an F-5 cockpit section now grafted onto the front-top of its vertical stabiliser. Image supplier "Iranian Spotters" describes the combo as intended to support tests of an Iranian-made ejection seat, and says the same aircraft will also carry out future work carrying indigenous unmanned air vehicles."

PR19_Kit

I hope the ejector seat tester has some good ear defenders, that's got to be LOUD perched up there so close to the engines!  :o

Of course he can always escape if it gets too loud, unlike normal airliner passengers.........  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

That's so crazy if someone on here had built it even we would have "sectioned" them  :banghead: ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Geoff

The Rat

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 29, 2012, 07:13:27 AM
That's so crazy if someone on here had built it even we would have "sectioned" them  :banghead: ;D

Truth is stranger than fiction.  ;D
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

kerick

Whether its a test pilot or a crash dummy, how do you get it up there? Seems like a waste of time.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

rickshaw

Quote from: kerick on September 01, 2012, 08:16:55 PM
Whether its a test pilot or a crash dummy, how do you get it up there? Seems like a waste of time.

A very long ladder?

I suppose they should be thankful they didn't follow the lead of Convair who used Bears to test the ejection seats on the B-58!   :blink:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Alvis 3.14159

I think I'm going to hand in my "What-If" certificate. When Iranians build 1:1 Whiffs, far far weirder than anything my little kitten mind can imagine, it's time to take up knitting.

Alvis Pi

NARSES2

Quote from: rickshaw on September 01, 2012, 11:27:43 PM

A very long ladder?

;D ;D ;D

I suppose they should be thankful they didn't follow the lead of Convair who used Bears to test the ejection seats on the B-58!   :blink:

Seriously ???:o
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Geoff

Quote from: Alvis 3.14159 on September 01, 2012, 11:34:12 PM
I think I'm going to hand in my "What-If" certificate. When Iranians build 1:1 Whiffs, far far weirder than anything my little kitten mind can imagine, it's time to take up knitting.

Alvis Pi

Serious respect from the Wiffers for the Iranians then.

PR19_Kit

Presumably the same ladder that they use for maintenance on the tailplane?

Having the test cockpit up there makes some sort of sense as it's in free stream air-flow with no vortices to spoil the simulation of what it would be when it's a 'real aircraft'. Having said that it must have been a real bitch re-stressing and modifiying the fin to take the extra loads.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

That was something I also wondered about? Maybe there's a 1-person-lift inside of the fin... ;)

rickshaw

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 02, 2012, 02:01:56 AM

Seriously ???:o

Serious.  They used live bears which had been drugged to test the ejection seats.   Must have made recovery interesting if the bears were waking up by the time you reached them.   :o
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

172flogger

Questions? Answer:
In soviet Tu-154 you can go from the cabin to tail fin inflight!
Check this video from 30:50 and from 37:48 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-3ANr1JQlw

172flogger