B-29 in Europe

Started by billi46, August 30, 2012, 09:32:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

karlik

:cheers:

McGreig

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 23, 2012, 08:12:39 AM
That B-30 DOES look the business!  :thumbsup: Has anyone here done one in the plastic?

Brian da Basher did one from the Monogram box-scale Constellation back in 2009 http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php?topic=22754.0

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McGreig on September 24, 2012, 09:50:56 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 23, 2012, 08:12:39 AM
That B-30 DOES look the business!  :thumbsup: Has anyone here done one in the plastic?

Brian da Basher did one from the Monogram box-scale Constellation back in 2009 http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php?topic=22754.0

So he did, and I even added two posts to the thread! But my excuse was it was almnost 4 years ago now.

That does look good, and I'm wondering just HOW good it would look using the Heller 1/72 kit. Excellent I reckon, and I think I've got one somewhere........(but 20 miles from here of course  :banghead:)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

The B-30 is a looker, tempted to do one myself although I would need fairly decent reference if I were to do one.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

jcf

Quote from: Gondor on September 24, 2012, 02:59:02 PM
The B-30 is a looker, tempted to do one myself although I would need fairly decent reference if I were to do one.

Gondor

The Model 249/XB-30 never got beyond the concept stage, so what reference are you looking for?
There is a small pic of a wind-tunnel model at the University of Washignton wind-tunnel page:
http://www.uwal.org/multimedia/historical.htm

PR19_Kit

The whole thing about being in WhiffWorld is we can make it up as we go along.

If Lockheed omitted to go further than the concept of the B-30 we can carry on where they left off. Add turrets, gun aiming positions, weapons bays as you like, it is of course YOUR model.  ;) ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Maybe another time, I have enough to do at the moment and in the fairly immediate future.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

wagnersm

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 25, 2012, 12:33:05 AM
The whole thing about being in WhiffWorld is we can make it up as we go along.

If Lockheed omitted to go further than the concept of the B-30 we can carry on where they left off. Add turrets, gun aiming positions, weapons bays as you like, it is of course YOUR model.  ;) ;D

"U. S. Bombers" by Lloyd S. Jones published by Aero Publishers, Inc has three views of the XB-30.  And information about the airplane. 

The book also has three views every USAAC/AAF/AF bomber from 1928 to 1980.  Mr Jones' drawings are sometimes for sale on e-bay.  And the book is available at Amazon for under a dollar (plus shipping) when I just checked.

Anigrand has a kit and some information.  http://anigrand.com/AA4030_XB-30.htm

Steve

PR19_Kit

I'm already thinking of the B-30F, based on the L-1049 Super Constellation airframe.....  ;) ;D

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Or based on a EC-121 "Warning Star" from Heller, for 1:72 - less windows! And there's a 1:144 styrene kit from Minicraft.

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 25, 2012, 06:32:07 AM
I'm already thinking of the B-30F, based on the L-1049 Super Constellation airframe.....  ;) ;D

With turbo-props ala the R7V-2?   ;)

PR19_Kit

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on September 25, 2012, 12:14:03 PM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 25, 2012, 06:32:07 AM

With turbo-props ala the R7V-2?   ;)

No, that was the B-30J, and they only built about 50 of them because of problems with the T-34s.    ;)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 25, 2012, 11:49:43 PM
No, that was the B-30J, and they only built about 50 of them because of problems with the T-34s.    ;)

Those Russian tanks get everywhere

Gondor

famvburg