B-29 in Europe

Started by billi46, August 30, 2012, 09:32:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Quote from: The Wooksta! on September 02, 2012, 12:46:08 PM
I nearly got the KG200 one done or something close anyway.  An u/c accident put paid to that and it's gathered dust for 15 years.  Hated building that kit - Academy.

I know of a couple of inaccuracies in that kit at least. Forward upper turret has no turret "bin" just the external guns in the turret and the astro dome can not be see through from the inside unless you open a hole in the crew tunnel between the forward and mid pressurised areas.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

billi46

By the way, the Pacific "atomic version" of the B-29 has no turrets.
I wonder if an European version would be the same ?

Martin H

if you mean dropping a bundle of instant sunshine on europe. Most likely.....you are going to want as slippery a ship as possible to get clear of the drop zone as fast as your ride will carry you.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

jcf

All of the wartime B-29s capable of carrying the nukes were modified under the Silverplate program,
29 were assigned to the 509th Composite Group, 15 of those were assigned to the 393rd Bomb Squadron for the Hiroshima and Nagasaki missions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/509th_Composite_Group#Equipment_and_crews

So as the A-bomb configuration was a 'production' modification it is most likely that the same aircraft would have been used in Europe.

Perhaps a black belly for a night time bombing of Berlin, provided the war drags on long enough.   :blink:

dogsbody

While on my Combat Flight Sim 3, I nuked Berlin at night. Everything was all black, then suddenly, everything was all white, gradually fading to yellow, orange, red and back to black.

Chris
"What young man could possibly be bored
with a uniform to wear,
a fast aeroplane to fly,
and something to shoot at?"

billi46

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on September 03, 2012, 09:39:09 PM
All of the wartime B-29s capable of carrying the nukes were modified under the Silverplate program,
29 were assigned to the 509th Composite Group, 15 of those were assigned to the 393rd Bomb Squadron for the Hiroshima and Nagasaki missions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/509th_Composite_Group#Equipment_and_crews

So as the A-bomb configuration was a 'production' modification it is most likely that the same aircraft would have been used in Europe.

Perhaps a black belly for a night time bombing of Berlin, provided the war drags on long enough.   :blink:

Do you think the same 509th Composite Group could have been assigned to Europe for a bombing of the German cities in 1945 ?

Army of One

I really like the Israeli one......
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

karlik

can deploy heavier caliber  ;D
sorry for O/T

Dominator

Peacemaker

NARSES2

Always liked the Dominator
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

Cool.  ;D

Now you need the Martin XB-33A to complete the USAAF heavies tri-fecta. ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_XB-33_Super_Marauder

karlik

I'm working on B-30 and B-45 drawing ;D

Cliffy B

Those B-32s and 36s; talk about sexy  :wub:
"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous

karlik

a little on the USAAF in Europe 1946, specifically for joncarrfarrelly SuperMarauder  ;D

inspired by the color of Mustangs and Thunderbolts

inspired by B17 and B24

inspired by Marauders

PR19_Kit

That B-30 DOES look the business!  :thumbsup:

Has anyone here done one in the plastic?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Gorgeous but the Tornado & Super Marauder stand out for me  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.