V bomber extension

Started by tigercat, September 03, 2012, 12:08:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigercat

The US have continued to upgrade the B52 to keep it in service and it has also been upgraded in fiction in Dale Brown's books

Now would it be possible to do something similar to one of the uK's V bombers and if so which one

So we could have our own "Flight of the old (English sheep )dog" of  a Megavulcan, Megavictor or Megavaliant

Cobra

Cute :lol: I think the Vulcan would be a Great Choice for an 'Old Dog' style Upgrade! i don't know if they'd Call it Mega Vulcan or what but it sounds like a Great Idea :thumbsup: :thumbsup: This is a Cool Idea,tigercat :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Dan

PR19_Kit

Why not?

I suspect it was only the two Air Forces differing mission requirements that meant the B-52s remained in service and the Victor and Vulcan were retired. The RAF's mission was fulfilled by the Tornado fleet, an aircraft that could hardly be called a strategic bomber!

In the Valiant's case it's a bit  different as the low level flying required by the improved Soviet SAM threat meant that the wing materials fatigued much faster than had been anticipated. The cost of replacing almost the entire wing structure would have been excessive so they were prematurely retired in 1965,
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TsrJoe

there was a brill 'commando comic' where the last in service Vulcan was fitted out for a secret mission complete with sampling pods and 'stealth' paint, would make for a fun model ;)
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Mossie

The Phase 6 Vulcans and Victors could provide a basis, the Valiant B.2 and B.3 versions also.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 03, 2012, 01:05:00 AM
In the Valiant's case it's a bit  different as the low level flying required by the improved Soviet SAM threat meant that the wing materials fatigued much faster than had been anticipated. The cost of replacing almost the entire wing structure would have been excessive so they were prematurely retired in 1965,

That's where the Valiant B.2 came in wasn't it Kit ?  The version the Air Ministry should have gone with and maybe they would've been still flying in the early 2000's
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitnut617

Quote from: Mossie on September 03, 2012, 06:20:48 AM
The Phase 6 Vulcans and Victors could provide a basis, the Valiant B.2 and B.3 versions also.

I've got an idea for a Vulcan Phase 6 type which would use CFM-56 engines, it involves amalgamating a Vulcan B.2 wing with a new engine section and a Nimrod fuselage
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Weaver

Perhaps the UK buys into the ALCM program and thus keeps the Vulcans and/or Victors on as stand-off missile carriers. That might take them as far as the Gulf War, when they could be used, alongside the B-52s, as both ALCM platforms and free-fall bombers again. The UK government then realises their utility in the "global policeman" era and gives them yet another re-build to soldier on into GWII, A'stan etc....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on September 03, 2012, 07:03:00 AM
That's where the Valiant B.2 came in wasn't it Kit ?  The version the Air Ministry should have gone with and maybe they would've been still flying in the early 2000's

It would have done the job a treat, yes, but they only built one and the RAF didn't see they had any use for it at the time. Having then built over 100 of the B1s and variants it would have cost a fortune to turn then all into B2s at that stage of the game, more's the pity.

I know a guy who worked on the sole B2 and he reckoned it was built so strongly it could well have been flying to this day if they hadn't scrapped it!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Quote from: kitnut617 on September 03, 2012, 07:09:44 AM
I've got an idea for a Vulcan Phase 6 type which would use CFM-56 engines, it involves amalgamating a Vulcan B.2 wing with a new engine section and a Nimrod fuselage

That I would like to see. :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

Quote from: Weaver on September 03, 2012, 10:55:14 AM
Perhaps the UK buys into the ALCM program and thus keeps the Vulcans and/or Victors on as stand-off missile carriers. That might take them as far as the Gulf War, when they could be used, alongside the B-52s, as both ALCM platforms and free-fall bombers again. The UK government then realises their utility in the "global policeman" era and gives them yet another re-build to soldier on into GWII, A'stan etc....

Just found the perfect weapon set for this:

http://www.djparkins.com/acatalog/1_72nd_Post_War_USAF_NATO_Russian.html

Scroll down to the AGM-142 Raptor set, and imagine a -142 on each wing pylon of a Barley Grey Vulcan and the datalink pod under the bomb bay....:wub: :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Gondor

The AGM-142 is available in the Skunk Models Israeli weapons sets in both 1/72 and 1/48 scale.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

RussC

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 03, 2012, 01:05:00 AM
Why not?

I suspect it was only the two Air Forces differing mission requirements that meant the B-52s remained in service and the Victor and Vulcan were retired. The RAF's mission was fulfilled by the Tornado fleet, an aircraft that could hardly be called a strategic bomber!

Much in the same way that SAC adopted the FB-111 to a role it was never designed to.

Liking this thread, thinking a interceptor Vulcan, much on the lines of Albeback's Tupolev blinder fighter would be a great concept.

Or a Victor as such.
"Build what YOU want, the way YOU want to"  - Al Superczynski

James

Quote from: Mossie on September 03, 2012, 06:20:48 AM

Yes please! Love the Phas 6's but there is something about the Valiant B.2 and B.3!