Hawker Siddeley Typhoon T2

Started by Gondor, September 08, 2012, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Some of you may have noticed that I received a couple of AIRES British Phantom engine exhausts which I intend to use with some of my Fujimi Phantoms as real world builds. This has freed up a couple of sets of exhausts for use in other projects, namely this one. I did have a set of Fujimi Spey Phantom exhausts already but Fujimi made two different levels of detail with their British Phantoms and I had been using the more basic and less detailed set of exhausts so far, the arrival of the resin exhausts freed up a set of the more detailed exhausts..... result  :thumbsup:

As you may have noticed, I have used some plastic tubing with an external diameter of 13mm and an internal diameter of slightly less than 11mm. With the basic exhausts this has not been a problem as the external diameter of the part of the exhausts that goes into the airframe being of an external diameter of a little over 10mm. You can probably work out where this is going by now.......

Sure enough the external diameter of the more detailed exhausts is a little larger, in fact their external diameter is a full 12mm!! which means that I will need to remove a whole 1.3mm approximately from the inside of the tubing if I want the more detailed exhausts to fit  :banghead: :banghead:

Replace the tubing is a possibility, but I used super-glue to fix the existing tubing into place so to remove them would mean wrecking the rear fuselage to get them out, I also do not have access to any replacement tubing to replace them so it looks as if they will have to stay.  :banghead: :banghead:

The answer that I fully intend to pursue will be to finish the construction of the fuselage and possibility the whole airframe then to use a large circular file or a roll of sandpaper to enlarge the inside of the tubing to facilitate the fitting of the more detailed exhausts. Its a pain but the fitting of the more detailed exhausts will look better in the end, even if I have to spend more time and effort to get them to fit. The difference in diameters is actual so much that the more basic exhausts will fit inside the more detailed ones!

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Gondor

Did a little work on the leading edge of the fin today, nothing else to report other than the fact that I may have found a source of some missiles to help arm the aircraft.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Gondor

Absolutely nothing done  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Way too much real life getting in the way of things but I will be taking this to Glasgow to do some work on.

Gondor

Gondor

Finally made some progress  :thumbsup:

The cockpit is built and "fitted" to the main part of the fuselage. I am not 100% happy with it but then it does need a lot of work to make the new two seater cockpit blend in with the rest of the airframe without making it look bulky. It is after all a Hawker Siddeley product!

No pictures yet as I want people to try and work out what I have used for this part  ;D

Gondor

Gondor

Opened a new tube of filler yesterday. Work is slow at the moment on this build but there is progress. Pictures later when the airframe is nearer completion.

Gondor

Gondor

So I have been watching a series of videos on You-tube about Kerbal Space Program when I looked around and realised I could be doing a little modelling work at the same time. So I look out this build knowing that I need to enlarge the hole in the tubing at the rear of the aircraft due to the change in the exhausts being used in this build.

As can be seen, the diameter of the exhaust is larger due to the detail Fujimi have moulded into the Spay exhausts. Also seen in these photographs is the lesser spotted cutting matt. Its amazing what you can find under an inch or two of modelling detritus  :blink:

You can see below the difference in the internal diameter of the tubing after modification which was easy to do, just dusty and time consuming

The edges of the exhausts will need to be cleaned up prior to finishing the contouring of the fuselage.

As can be seen above, the shrouds around the exhausts are too wide for the fuselage contours so I may have to add filler to build up the difference between the two.

Just had a thought. Why do I need to have the shroud around the exhaust petals of the spay engine? The engines I am using are from the F-4K/M which probably had the shrouds to help protect the rear fuselage of the Phantom. The Buccaneer S2 used the Spay engine and didn't have the shroud and I am sure that other aircraft that used them didn't either. A quick check has confirmed that I could just place the petals straight onto the rear of the fuselage without any modification and they will cover the tubing exactly so no extra building up of the fuselage to match the exhaust shrouds. I need to think more about how I am going to reduce the shrouds or remove them completely. Keeping the exhausts as one piece would probably be best as that would allow me to fit them at the end of the build but achieving this needs some thought.

Gondor

PR19_Kit

Don't forget that the Phantom had re-heated Speys whereas the Bucc didn't, so the exhausts were bound to be different.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 04, 2015, 05:04:37 AM
Don't forget that the Phantom had re-heated Speys whereas the Bucc didn't, so the exhausts were bound to be different.

There is not going to be anything behind or anywhere as close on this aircraft to the exhaust as there is on the Phantom so I will definitely get rid of the shrouds. Thinking about cutting the exhaust trunking away from the shrouds then glueing the trunking inside the tubing that I have been thinning and then applying the petals to the end at the end of or near the end of the build.

Gondor

eatthis

custom made pc desks built to order (including pc inside the the desk)

https://www.etsy.com/uk/your/listings?ref=si_your_shop

http://tinypic.com/m/hx3lmq/3

Captain Canada

Yes, very nice ! This is going to be epic  :thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

DogfighterZen

This is looking very good! I like the changes done so far and also, to see one resurrected after so long!  :thumbsup:

:cheers:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Gondor

Quote from: DogfighterZen on July 04, 2015, 10:08:36 AM
This is looking very good! I like the changes done so far and also, to see one resurrected after so long!  :thumbsup:

:cheers:

I may actually have an older thread or two that I may resurrect at some point. Simply trying to clear some of the backlog.

Gondor

Gondor

Managed to reduce the thickness of the second tube's walls so it looks as if my plan is taking shape, not sure what shape though  :blink:

Gondor

Gondor

In fact the result of a little more work was the following pictures.

Which was put into the tubes mentioned earlier in this thread to produce this

and with a torch providing light into the tunnel

Adding the "can's" to the tubes at this stage was prompted by my intent to physically bend and super-glue some of the lower fuselage panels around the tubes to provide a much more shapely rear end  :rolleyes: but with all the sanding to increase the internal diameter the thickness of the tubes walls was obviously reduced to the point that was was unsure if the fuselage panels or the tubes were going to flex if I clamped them together. Adding the can's inside the tubes will provide stiffening for dealing with the shaping of the rear end.

Gondor

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Gondor on July 05, 2015, 03:28:20 PM

That looks remarkably like the business end of a double barrelled shotgun!  :o

One improved cylinder barrel and one choked!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit