Royal Navy SeaHawk II

Started by deathjester, September 09, 2012, 01:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathjester

Here's my latest build - something I've been plotting for a while.
It has been done before, but not quite like this; so (and with apologies to GTX), here we go:

Alternate (?) timeline date: 1st July, 2018.

'...and here are the headlines at Ten -

British government in turmoil as F-35 becomes too expensive to purchase -

Previous government blamed yet again -

2nd hand F-18's offered at further expense to taxpayer -

Katie Price ends 14th marriage -

...and in other news...

And this is where common sense steps in.  Realising that:
(a) No one was going to cut the  price of a naval stealth fighter.
and:
(b) They didn't have enough money left after getting ripped off over the F-35   anyway.

the MOD decided to use their remaining new fighter funds to purchase a cheap, British built fighter to arm the new carriers.  Luckily, BAe was there to step in with a solution.
They already built a version of the Hawk advanced trainer as a carrier capable trainer for the US Navy.  The prototypes jigs were still in storage at Warton, as were the jigs for all the other Hawk versions.  BAe's engineers quickly surmised that they could combine;

The T-45 Goshawk fuselage.
The Hawk 200 cockpit and nose, with its internal ADEN cannon.
The Hawk 100 wing with its 5 underwing, and 2 wingtip hardpoints.
A Phantom FG1 - style extending oleo nosegear.
And lastly, an Adour 25R reheated turbofan engine from a Jaguar.

This gives you an all weather, supersonic, multirole carrier based fighter, with BVR missile capability.

Needless to say, the MOD jumped at the chance to;
(a) Save face,
and;
(b) Not spend much money on it.

The SeaHawk II, as it was soon called, proved to be a fast, agile performer, which the USAF regularly banned F-22 pilots from dog fighting with - a performance level which came in handy when Argentina made another play for the Falklands - but that is another story...

Here is one of the first SeaHawk II's shortly after take-off from HMS Queen Elizabeth...

As you can see, she's created from the old Matchbox Hawk 200 kit - quite a nice model.  Added the wingtip 'winder rails from an Italeri Hawk 100, an F-18 arrestor hook and AMRAAMs, and a diddy little afterburner and decals from the spares box .

Honestly, can't see why we don't have something like this - everything on the jet exists, and is available to us now.

kerick

You don't have this for the same reason our DoD doesn't have things like that either, it makes too much sense. It available, cheap, and proven but probably doesn't benifit the right politicians district.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

TallEng

Thats nice  :thumbsup: although I have to question the CU tailcode, I've a feeling that's for Culdrose?

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

chrisonord

Very nice build Jay, :thumbsup:
I think the Honduras air force would be interested in a few of those to replace their F-5e's  ;)
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

deathjester

Quote from: kerick on September 09, 2012, 01:34:59 PM
You don't have this for the same reason our DoD doesn't have things like that either, it makes too much sense. It available, cheap, and proven but probably doesn't benifit the right politicians district.
:lol: :lol: :lol:  So true!

Quote from: TallEng on September 09, 2012, 01:56:54 PM
Thats nice  :thumbsup: although I have to question the CU tailcode, I've a feeling that's for Culdrose?

Regards
Keith
Hmm, didn't know about that - 'twas on the navy decal sheet I had, and looked good!  Never know - extended facilities at Culdrose for the SeaHawks?? ;)

Quote from: chrisonord on September 09, 2012, 03:34:59 PM
Very nice build Jay, :thumbsup:
I think the Honduras air force would be interested in a few of those to replace their F-5e's  ;)
Chris.
Cheers mate - I'll see if I can find anymore -200's, or Goshawks.

Old Wombat

Nice!  :thumbsup: I imagine the deck would look a little like the deck scenes from "Hot Shots".

Pity the focus isn't so good but I know how difficult that can be to achieve if you're a rank amateur, such as myself.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

deathjester

Normally I'm quick good at photo's, but it seems that Nokia are strangers to such things as variable focus...

I'd settle for the deck scene from Hot shots - at least we'd have a carrier with planes then...

Old Wombat

Carrier? Wot's wunna them? :blink:

(Ex-RAN FAA aircraft tech ;) )

:cheers:

Guy
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

rickshaw

Looks good.  Sea's a funny colour though.  Is that what the North Sea looks like nowadays with all the pollution?  ;D

Its a sensible conclusion but not one we're likely to see, unfortunately.   :(
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Caveman

Quote from: deathjester on September 09, 2012, 03:44:56 PM
Quote from: TallEng on September 09, 2012, 01:56:54 PM

Regards
Keith
Hmm, didn't know about that - 'twas on the navy decal sheet I had, and looked good!  Never know - extended facilities at Culdrose for the SeaHawks?? ;)

No need. Culdrose already operate hawks in the form of FRADU
http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/The-Fleet/Air-Stations/RNAS-Culdrose/Fleet-Requirements-Air-Direction-Unit-FRADU
secretprojects forum migrant

bearmatt

The carpet monster took it!

Devilfish

I like this. I have been planning to do a 1/48 "Seahawk", but with 2 seats (RN prefer that) and Goshawk u/c and wing, but with Hawh 100 nose and RWR and wing tip 'winders.  Oh and of course, Sea Eagle/ Martel on the centreline...

deathjester

Go for it! - In my head, I envisioned a two seat trainer version, so why not give it the -100 nose?  :thumbsup:

Devilfish

Quote from: deathjester on September 10, 2012, 02:00:55 AM
Go for it! - In my head, I envisioned a two seat trainer version, so why not give it the -100 nose?  :thumbsup:

My idea was for a dedicated anti-shipping aircraft.  The Hawk has a low RCS, so at high speed, low level it would be hard to detect.

Caveman

Quote from: Devilfish on September 10, 2012, 01:31:04 AM
but with 2 seats (RN prefer that)
Really?

Sea Harrier, Harrier, JSF...
secretprojects forum migrant