Previous topic - Next topic

Devilfish

Quote from: Caveman on September 10, 2012, 04:45:16 AM
Quote from: Devilfish on September 10, 2012, 01:31:04 AM
but with 2 seats (RN prefer that)
Really?

Sea Harrier, Harrier, JSF...

Phantom, Sea Vixen, Buccaneer...

I said they prefer 2 seats (to reduce workload) and 2 engines for safety.......I didn't say they always got it. 

Sea Harrier was pretty much forced upon them as the only choice if they were going to carry on with fixed wing aviation.  It was never their first choice!

deathjester

Quote from: Devilfish on September 10, 2012, 03:10:41 AM
Quote from: deathjester on September 10, 2012, 02:00:55 AM
Go for it! - In my head, I envisioned a two seat trainer version, so why not give it the -100 nose?  :thumbsup:

My idea was for a dedicated anti-shipping aircraft.  The Hawk has a low RCS, so at high speed, low level it would be hard to detect.
What!!?  So it's a Stealth fighter too?  Is there no end to this birds utility!?! ;D ;D

Devilfish

Quote from: deathjester on September 10, 2012, 06:56:38 AM
Quote from: Devilfish on September 10, 2012, 03:10:41 AM
Quote from: deathjester on September 10, 2012, 02:00:55 AM
Go for it! - In my head, I envisioned a two seat trainer version, so why not give it the -100 nose?  :thumbsup:

My idea was for a dedicated anti-shipping aircraft.  The Hawk has a low RCS, so at high speed, low level it would be hard to detect.
What!!?  So it's a Stealth fighter too?  Is there no end to this birds utility!?! ;D ;D

No, it just has a small RCS, not complete stealth.  When 100 sqn changed over from Canberras to Hawks, they had to be fitted with transponders as the targetting radars were having trouble locking on.  Head on, at low level I would think it would be pretty hard for a ships search radar to pick it out from the clutter.

deathjester

Well that's damned handy!  So a Hawk variant really would be a viable multirole naval aircraft...

...I love it when a plan comes together...!