Wild Weasel TSR2

Started by darthspud, September 12, 2012, 10:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darthspud

Right, i've managed to get a ruck load of ECM/Jamming Pods/Cluster Bombs etc from various Hasegawa sets and thought i might use one of my stash of TSR2's as a whiffy USAF 'Nam era Wild Weasel.

I'm going to alter the main undercarriage to something more like a Tornado  main gear and maybe tip fitted Sidewinder for defence and maybe a semi recessed set of bays for HARM missiles.

Any thoughts from the collected genii here or is it yet another 'seen it-heard it ' project?
too old for a paper round, too young for me pensions, dammit, back to work then!

TsrJoe

i like the change of undercart idea, i would personally leave the wingtips clear tho as they were not suitable for load bearing in that way (hmm i wonder if removing the downward tips and adding launch shoes to the wing would have a major detrimental effect ?)

:drink:
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Hobbes

Well, if you're going to change the undercarriage then a reengineered wing stressed for wingtip Sidewinders isn't out of the question.

I wonder if you'd have to fit the ECM pods over the wing instead of underneath, to avoid the metal of the wing blanking off the ECM emissions when flying low.

Martin H

Quote from: darthspud on September 12, 2012, 10:38:07 AM
or is it yet another 'seen it-heard it ' project?

Even if that is the case, dont let it stop you. After all, its your model ;D

Personally I like the idea. Altou Id drop the wing tip winder rails and mount them over wing like the RAF did on its Jaguars.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

chrisonord

build it how you want, that is what we are all about, if you want some real world rinsed in, there are plenty of people here who can help you out there, as Martin H has build somewhere in the region of 500 TSR2's, just that I know of ;) I have 2 sat in the stash waiting patiently(several years now) for their moment of inception, and your build could well give me some inspiration for one of my builds.
Crack on mate  :thumbsup:
Chris
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

McColm

Have you thought of using the Tonka wings?

Go4fun

Quote from: chrisonord on September 12, 2012, 03:34:15 PM
build it how you want, that is what we are all about, if you want some real world rinsed in, there are plenty of people here who can help you out there, as Martin H has build somewhere in the region of 500 TSR2's, just that I know of ;) I have 2 sat in the stash waiting patiently(several years now) for their moment of inception, and your build could well give me some inspiration for one of my builds.
Chris
A Bi-Wing TSR-2?
"Just which planet are you from again"?

Devilfish

How about fitting 'winder rails to the fuselage sides, F-8 Crusader style?  There's plenty of room....

The ECM pods will need to be under the aircraft, preferably away from obstacles.  The sensors are really designed to look forward/rearward and slightly down, after all, that's where most threats will be, especially for a Weasel. If you fit them above the wing you will get a blanking effect.  You could of course, split the pod into components and distribute the sensors around the aircraft (nose, tail, wingtips, etc)

McColm

Quote from: Go4fun on September 12, 2012, 06:04:50 PM
Chris
A Bi-Wing TSR-2?
or use either an F-14 or F-111 for a full swing-wing build.

darthspud

over wing rails did pop in to my mind too, but hey ho, no Brit/Jaguar rails to use at the mo.

F8 stylee rails for defensive AAM, but they'd need to be lower to not interfere with the engine inlets.

I'm not an expert at mods, so the main under carriage will be a straight conversion/slice off the wheel hub and remove the trailling wheel and put it inboard of the other wheel as i'm sure it would have developed that way once it went operational. The main u/c would probably be more akin to a Jaguar in that configuration.

3 tone SEA scheme or bare metal and high viz national markings.
too old for a paper round, too young for me pensions, dammit, back to work then!

Martin H

as Martin H has build somewhere in the region of 500 TSR2's, just that I know of ;)

cheeky bugger!  ive built 4 resin and 5 Airfix TSR's. with 12 more waiting in the wings for good measure lol
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

upnorth

Quote from: darthspud on September 13, 2012, 12:52:43 AM

F8 stylee rails for defensive AAM, but they'd need to be lower to not interfere with the engine inlets.

Not a problem, you can just have intake mounted missile rails like on the Sukhoi Su-27:

net photo

The Mirage 2000 also features missile rails on the underside of the intake area:

net photo

A couple of pylons of appropriate size from the spares box altered to fit the contours of the area they'll be mounted on and you're there.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

NARSES2

Quote from: darthspud on September 13, 2012, 12:52:43 AM
3 tone SEA scheme or bare metal and high viz national markings.

You know you are going to have to build 2 now don't you ?  ;D

Bare metal would definately be an unusual one
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

darthspud

Upnorth,

Thanks for the photo references, good starting point along with the spare F8 i've got in the stash.

Narses,

Bare metal and U.S.Air Force along the sides would look uber cool, just hope the brush skills are up to it.

on a tangential area, i've got a very small compressor from Tesco, wondered if anyone had seen similar used for airbrush usage?

scooter

Quote from: darthspud on September 13, 2012, 04:02:42 AM
on a tangential area, i've got a very small compressor from Tesco, wondered if anyone had seen similar used for airbrush usage?
I've used a 1/10hp tankless from Paasche that works pretty well.  Just sure to get a regulator and water trap if it doesn't have one already
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng