Wild Weasel TSR2

Started by darthspud, September 12, 2012, 10:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

Quote from: Devilfish on December 16, 2012, 11:35:41 PM
The only problem with sticking any kind of sensor on the tail of the TSR is that it has an all moving tailfin.  This presents problems with directional reception.  i.e. if the aircraft is flying in a straight line and it picks up a signal dead astern, alls good.  However if it is turning and it picks up a signal dead astern, that signal is actually not dead astern...it's astern of the current position of the tailfin.  So, without complicated electronics, the signal would be shown in the wrong place on the display.
This is a problem I am working on with mine as I want to fit period RWR, which was normally fitted on the fin top....

To get around this, you could place the RWR on the wingtips instead.

Devilfish

Quote from: Hobbes on December 17, 2012, 02:43:38 AM
Quote from: Devilfish on December 16, 2012, 11:35:41 PM
The only problem with sticking any kind of sensor on the tail of the TSR is that it has an all moving tailfin.  This presents problems with directional reception.  i.e. if the aircraft is flying in a straight line and it picks up a signal dead astern, alls good.  However if it is turning and it picks up a signal dead astern, that signal is actually not dead astern...it's astern of the current position of the tailfin.  So, without complicated electronics, the signal would be shown in the wrong place on the display.
This is a problem I am working on with mine as I want to fit period RWR, which was normally fitted on the fin top....

To get around this, you could place the RWR on the wingtips instead.

Yes, thought about that.  The same goes with the fin top pod for a W/W a/c.  The pod could be fitted underneath the a/c.  After all, SAM sites are always going to be lower than the plane they are shooting at.....

darthspud

i'm thinking about removing the dropped outer wing-tips, and fitting pods/rails there for e-warfare eqpt.
Probably going to put an auxilliary fueltank under the bomb-bay, using the stratos booster as a base for the fuel tank and some filler to shape one end.

It's going to be in the black lower and four colour SEAC colours on top with red lettering.
too old for a paper round, too young for me pensions, dammit, back to work then!

McColm

Quote from: Devilfish on December 17, 2012, 01:28:57 AM
Quote from: McColm on December 17, 2012, 12:18:24 AM
You are building a model and not the real thing? :banghead:

Ok...but I like my whiffs to have believability.  I'm sure you wouldn't hang a Blue Steel under a Gnat? 
When I build a Whiff I want people to look at it and say "Is that real?"  I have taken my in service B-70 and my Retro Typhoon to several shows and they not once has anyone said, "that looks totally wrong and unbelievable"
Sorry, that's just me. 
The thing with most of my whiffs is, the Chinese Air Force or Navy seem to have built the real thing. The resemblance is just uncanny.

scooter

Quote from: McColm on December 17, 2012, 07:37:53 AM
Quote from: McColm on December 17, 2012, 12:18:24 AM
You are building a model and not the real thing? :banghead:

Ok...but I like my whiffs to have believability.  I'm sure you wouldn't hang a Blue Steel under a Gnat? 
When I build a Whiff I want people to look at it and say "Is that real?"  I have taken my in service B-70 and my Retro Typhoon to several shows and they not once has anyone said, "that looks totally wrong and unbelievable"
Sorry, that's just me. 
The thing with most of my whiffs is, the Chinese Air Force or Navy seem to have built the real thing. The resemblance is just uncanny.

Like rumors of the Soviet Ambassador to the US seen leaving a bookstore in the Washington DC area when The Hunt for Red October was first published?
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Gondor

Ok...but I like my whifs to have believability.  I'm sure you wouldn't hang a Blue Steel under a Gnat? 
When I build a Whif I want people to look at it and say "Is that real?"  I have taken my in service B-70 and my Retro Typhoon to several shows and they not once has anyone said, "that looks totally wrong and unbelievable"
Sorry, thats just me. 

With you on that Devilfish

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Gondor

Quote from: darthspud on December 17, 2012, 03:47:07 AM
i'm thinking about removing the dropped outer wing-tips, and fitting pods/rails there for e-warfare eqpt.
Probably going to put an auxilliary fueltank under the bomb-bay, using the stratos booster as a base for the fuel tank and some filler to shape one end.

It's going to be in the black lower and four colour SEAC colours on top with red lettering.

Love the idea about replacing the drooped wing tips as the equipment pods could possibly perform the same function.

When you say "stratos booster" which part are you meaning as the very large item carried under that aircraft was a missile which was so large the aircraft was launched from a ramp.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

darthspud

Gondor, it's part number 130 or 131. I've removed the locating tab and the back end/motor. I'll fabricate a new rear end and use it back to front mounted over a blanked/closed bomb bay. Going to have triple ejector rack/ rails on the inner wing hardpoints for triple mounted HARM missiles, and twin rails on the outer wing hardpoint for AIM9  Sidewinders for self -defense, not forgetting ALQ pods on each wing tip.

The use of part of the stratos booster means i get an 'enlarged fuel tank' without losing airframe functionality, and it has ground clearance with the current under carriage.
too old for a paper round, too young for me pensions, dammit, back to work then!

pyro-manic

It's a missile, not a booster. :thumbsup:

Freightdog did a resin belly tank for the TSR2, though I can't find it on their site at the moment.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Gondor

Quote from: darthspud on December 17, 2012, 10:08:23 AM
Gondor, it's part number 130 or 131. I've removed the locating tab and the back end/motor. I'll fabricate a new rear end and use it back to front mounted over a blanked/closed bomb bay. Going to have triple ejector rack/ rails on the inner wing hardpoints for triple mounted HARM missiles, and twin rails on the outer wing hardpoint for AIM9  Sidewinders for self -defense, not forgetting ALQ pods on each wing tip.

The use of part of the stratos booster means i get an 'enlarged fuel tank' without losing airframe functionality, and it has ground clearance with the current under carriage.

That's defiantly the missile. The parts that go under the wings are boosters although using the missile in a similar way to the Convair B-58 Hustler is not a bad idea.

Gondor

darthspud

Pyro, i looked to source the Freightdog belly tank.
t'interweb was/is bare in U.K. and too expensive to have shipped from USA or Oz, £22 plus from either place.

i only paid £14 for the kit.

The Wooksta!

Send a PM to Colin direct (he's Freightdog on here), he may have some left.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

darthspud

Just waiting for some dry weather to do the lower fuselage.
Can't really use a rattle can in the house and nowhere to do it outside without getting rained on.

Will work on other sub sections  and post pics once i work out how to on here.

Rheged

Quote from: darthspud on December 22, 2012, 03:42:06 AM
Just waiting for some dry weather to do the lower fuselage.
Can't really use a rattle can in the house and nowhere to do it outside without getting rained on.

Dry weather??    We'll  expect pictures in mid April then!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

darthspud

hmmm, good point.
May have to move my wife's car out of the garage and use that to do spraying.