A helicopter question for the tech minded...

Started by Army of One, September 16, 2012, 03:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Army of One

Dear all.......what is the reason for the canted rear rotor on some helicopters like the CH53 family....?? If I wanted to change a helo from an upright rear post n rotor with two small wings one either side of the tail boom to a canted one with maybe a wing at the top is there anything to consider re flight characteristics......??

The helo I want to modify is a Mi24 and I want to change the tail rotor to a sort of CH53 family style in order to aid folding......

I know this if whiff world but if it wouldn't fly because of the mod......

Many thanks......H
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

deathjester

I think it might be to cut down on the noise mate.  IIRC, the Apaches have the tailrotor blades set at odd angles on their hub to alleviate the interaction of the main rotor wash, and the tailrotor wash, which is what makes helos so noisy.  The CH53 tailrotor angle might be a similar attempt to reduce noise.  I don't think it would stop it flying properly - you'd here it coming a mile away though...

lenny100

Changes on the CH-53E also include a stronger transmission and a fuselage stretched 6 feet 2 inches (1.88 m). The main rotor blades were changed to a titanium-fiberglass composite.[5] The tail configuration was also changed. The low-mounted symmetrical horizontal tail was replaced by a larger vertical tail and the tail rotor tilted from the vertical to provide some lift in hover while counteracting the main rotor torque
taken from wikipedia
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

deathjester

Ah!  I stand corrected! (Well, to be honest, I'm taking it sitting down)

Army of One

Great stuff.....many thanks........so other than noisy it should be ok......
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

PR19_Kit

Because of the angle there must be some vertical lift component from the tail-rotor, either upwards or downwards depending which way it goes of course.

Perhaps they use that to help trim out some CG issues or other things?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Aircav

Helps a bit with ground clearance too, get a bigger diameter in on an angle.  ;)
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

PR19_Kit

But then the horizontal forces, which are what it's trying to resist, will be smaller because of the angle.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Would that be offset by the larger diameter?  Kind of a win-win, tilt the rotor to provide more lift, which reduces the torque correction, but you can then increase the diameter to get some of this back.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Maybe.

It's difficult to say for sure what they are trying to do unless you have the 'before and after' data, such as the amount of torque they wanted to counteract originally compared with the amount they'd predicted on the newer version. Plus you'd need before and after diameters and blade speeds and pitches etc.

It's pretty darn complicated really, good thing we live in WhiffWorld.........  ;) ;D

Regards
Kit

deathjester

Wouldn't it be easier in that case to have the angle of the whole tail rotor variable in flight?

jcf

Quote from: deathjester on September 18, 2012, 04:28:02 PM
Wouldn't it be easier in that case to have the angle of the whole tail rotor variable in flight?

Sshhh, a Sikorsky or Eurocopter manager might overhear you and see dollar signs.
It would be doable, but both complex and expensive. ;)

On the Ch-53E the 20° tilt is evidently to help compensate for the weight of the third engine.

As to the original question, in real world terms, a skewed hinge fold line would probably answer as
well as an angled tail rotor/vertical fin, but wouldn't look as cool.  ;D

Army of One

Thanks for all the advice/help chaps......I think I'm gonna go with chanting the tail and a high fin like the CH53.....and do away with the tail boom fins on the Hind....if/when it's finished and I post it I'll put up with those that point stuff out......again,many thanks.......H
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!